Premed 101 Forums

Is it too late to apply for housing?

Guest Apna

Guest Apna

I'm sure they're still taking applications and all, but would a place like Newton Place already be full for the fall? And is the HUB as bad as some people have said? All of a sudden I'm scrambling... :|

Guest summervirus

I think it's too late to move in this fall. I have two friends that applied to Newton Place back in January and they were told by the housing office last week that they need to find housing elsewhere because they're too far down the list -- one applied for a bachelor's and another for a bachelor's or one bedroom unit.

I have another friend that just got into HUB. I think she told me she applied this time last year and finally got in just now.

There is, however, a new residence called the International House that's right across the street from the Law Building and quite close to the hospital. You can try applying there. It's a traditional type dorm but you get your own bathroom.

Guest chemgirl

What sort of place are you looking for and how far away from the uni are you willing to live? We are renting a place at 77 ave and 83 st. right now (30 min away by bus to med sci) that we are vacating to buy a condo. Let me know if you are interested!

Guest not another premed

I'm sure this link has been plastered over this forum far too many times, but:

[link=http://rentingspaces.ca/search.htm?ref=2 newwindow]http://rentingspaces.ca/search.htm?ref=2[/link]

Has a bunch of really good places on it; most are close to the university. I lived in residence (Lister Hall aka. Lister Hell) for 2 years and hated it, and I've heard similar stories from friends who lived in HUB, Garneau, etc. I couldn't imagine trying to study at home for cardiology while roommates or hallmates are partying...

Just my 2 cents. And yes, I agree that it's far too late to apply for the other housing you mentioned. 1-1.5 year waiting lists...

Good luck!

I lived in HUB for two years and really liked it, though I know some people who don't. I was lucky because I lived with a friend so I didn't have to deal with a roomate that I didn't get along with. The places in HUB are small so if you are living with people you don't know it can be a little difficult. I also know people who have lived in bachelor places in HUB which are below the mall so a little bit quieter. The best thing about res is that you can beat the location for the price. Good luck.

Guest chemgirl

Give Concord Tower a call (433-1676). The same price as Newton Place, three blocks away from the university, but the suites are nicely renovated with dishwashers, and the manager is awesome! You won't be waiting 4 weeks for them to fix your cupboard doors like we were in Newton :rolleyes

I honestly wouldn't worry about not getting into res. There are a lot of places in the same area for the same or cheaper price. You'll just have to do some legwork now, that's all. Are you in the city? You'll be surprised what you can find! Just walking east down 83rd-84th ave there's a few renovated walk up apartments.

Guest makdaddy08

I'll second that Concord towers is pretty sweet place to live. The outside isn't that nice but the inside is well renovated...looks liek a luxury building. It'll be perfect for a med student cuz it's relatively close to the hospital...probably a 5-10 minute walk. My friend pays $1000 for a 2 bedroom.

Nobody mentioned Garneau Towers? right behind Newton..my friend applied in June and got a 1 bedroom like a week or 2 later. The rent is more $ though...$710 for a 1 bedroom is a bit pricey...the apartments themselves are pretty big..i know 2 ppl who share a 1 bedroom comfortably. Hardwood floors, etc. You should give that a try.

Well, it looks like I'll be catching an extra flight to Edmonton after all to find myself a place... one of the reasons I was interested in housing (at least for the first semester or so) was that it was more convenient to arrange from out of province. But I would actually rather live in a private apartment as it is, so hopefully one of those will be available... Concord sounds really nice. But will most places allow someone to move in a few days prior to the beginning of a month?

I also MIGHT have a hookup for a basement suite... which could also work out nice, but I need to find out more details.

if you don't mind spending some $$$, check out UNIVERSITY PLAZA (on the corner of 84th av and 111 st).

a block from MSB (not even)...mostly med students/physicians/residents....

totally upscale living man, and it costs an upscale penny too:

1+1 suites- 900$+ utilities

2 bedrooms-1200$+utilities

in my opinion, it's worth every cent.

Your call though,

Ssup

Med 2007

my sister checked it out and said it's really nice... a little pricey but it's only for one year... I'll be more economical with my borrowed money next year! thanks again everyone

Guest shkelo

I lived in Garneau Towers for 3 years. If you're bringing a car, do not leave any valuables on the seat or inside the car. This includes cell phones, car stereos, book bags, etc. The parking lot that is shared with Newton Place is a crime haven. There was always broken glass everywhere in the parkade. 3 of my close friends had their cars broken into and I heard of many more too. Also, do not park on the lowest level underneath the street!! Three exits, no windows, no cameras, and an exhaust fan that covers up any kind of illicit activity. Garneau Towers at one point had a security guard (completely ineffective BTW) until the day that the guard was held up by gunpoint in the parkade. Yes, that's right, by gunpoint!! Even made the news in the city. This was about 5 years ago, but from what I hear from current residents, the problem hasn't changed much. The apartments themselves are nice, but pricey. Rent went up every year I was there.

In my opinion, you can find decent rentals in Belgravia on the southside of the university for less money than a large apartment complex. A lot of these are only 3-4 blocks away from the hospital. There are some nice renovated homes that already have students living in them and are looking for roommates. Usually, these students are older and more mature so it's rarely a problem with disastrous roommates. If you want to go upscale, I know someone that is renting out 2 luxury condo units (one at the university and one downtown close to an LRT station that would go to the university). Both condos are virtually brand-new with 2 beds/2 bathrms/underground parking, being built in the last 2 years. Rent would be similar as University Plaza.

Archived