Premed 101 Forums

Parking, Upass and LRT

Guest Koppertone

Guest Koppertone

High, a quick question for you current students. I've just gotten a place off campus (102ave and 109st) and I'm going to be bring my car down to Edmonton. Should I opt for a monthly parking pass in a lot near campus? Or is UAlberta getting the UPass next year (as a grad student friend of mine said)? Would you recommend taking the LRT (which I'm close to) over driving? Thanks for your help!

Guest MUC1

Hi,

This past year, the U of A's SU held a referendum on the idea of the UPass. It passed, but it doesn't mean that we are going to have one. It just means that if any company offers the SU a UPass, the SU would have to take it -- even if it's limited service with lots of restrictions (hence so much resistance toward the referendum).

Hi I would recommend LRT over driving. Drving can be a real pain as far as getting parking goes and the roads are sometimes bad in the winter. The LRT goes every five minutes in peak times which means you can probably go from your apartment to class in about 15 minutes max. I live downtown and have been walking to campus this summer (from 104st and 99th ave). Only takes about 35 minutes and I think that it is a good way to get to school when it is nice out. I know of other people who ride their bikes or rollerblade from downtown.

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Ali

Guest Lactic Folly

I think it's doubtful that we'll ever get a UPass without funding to make up the shortfall produced by the proposed plan.

Guest MUC1

In addition to the funding problem, even ETS doesn't agree with the idea of the UPass at the current set price of $60 per semester (120/year). Another problem is that there's no opt-out for the pass if it ever does materialize.

I guess if one were to live >30 minute bus ride from the U, it'll be ideal to drive (especially if going from South or West side). Parking can be pretty cheap ($50) at Jubilee parking lot, across from the hospital.

Guest Salkh

I would take the LRT, especially if you're close to it. LRT and parking both cost $50/month, but the LRT is way less hassle. I have never driven to the university but I've heard of people who pay the $50/month for parking and then can't find a spot.

Guest MUC1

I guess since you are close to the LRT, take it. But what I was trying to say is that for the people on the west and south side of Edmonton, it is more efficient to drive. The bus system is just too slow.

I know many people who park at the U's Jubilee parking lot and never heard of them not being able to find a spot...

Guest makdaddy08

LRT is by far the most convenient. From your addy it seems like you live by Grandin station? That's only 1 stop away from the U..not even 5 minutes. Driving woudl take you more than that because of the traffic in the mornings. Plus driving you'll need to get to school early to get a spot..although med classes start at 8 so there's no problem there.

AND...Jubilee lot sucks in the winter! ahha..no cover, and I dont' even think there's plug-ins. Try getting parking at the Garneau lot..it's the same price, and it's just across 112 st from the hospital. No heat but at least it's a covered lot (no scraping!).

Archived