Premed 101 Forums

Medicine at the UofA

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Hey everyone,

I have a question for all current/past UofA medical students: Could you please give us all some insight into the typical day of a first-year student? I have also heard that the first and second years are pretty relaxed, while the third and fourth are somewhat "hellish", is this true?

Also, if you could maybe highlight some of the key aspects of UofA that you particularly enjoy and that us applicants might not be aware of...

Thanks everyone!!

Guest Cowgirl Jenn

Thanks summervirus,

I have a quick question for you, unrelated to this thread actually, but I've read elsewhere on this site that there is a "second round" of acceptances in July...is this done all at once, or is it a continual thing as people decline or defer...

I'm on the in-province waitlist, as a 4 year applicant. I'm just wondering when is a reasonable time to expect that calls will start being made?

Thanks summervirus....as you can probably guess I'm a bit impatient and really want at acceptance....I'd love to attend UofA....

Guest summervirus

Hewwo,

It's my understanding that "first round" offers are made based on February interviews. A portion of the seats are given out at that time. The remainder of the seats are then given out in the "second round" offers and at the same time applicants are placed on the waiting list. I think that in the past (i.e. 2 years ago), the second round people got notified in the last week of June / first week of July. Last year, people found out a bit earlier (i.e. mid-June). And, this year, people were contacted even earlier (i.e. early June).

To my knowledge, I don't think there will be another set of offers in July apart from what is freed-up by movement on the waiting list.

In your situation, a call can be made at any time. In my opinion, I would expect movement to happen around this time because some people get multiple acceptances to the UofA and other schools (like the OMSAS ones) and they have to decide between the schools around this time, ultimately freeing up some spots. There will probably be significant movement again near the end of July because applicants will need to start finding places to live for the upcoming school year. The ones that are holding onto two offers will eventually have to let one go at this time. Some people in the past have actually put down their deposit to reserve a spot but they decide to go somewhere else instead... and the admissions office doesn't find out that they're (inappropriately) committing themselves to more than one school until around the beginning/middle of August when the schools across Canada start comparing their class lists. At that time again, the list will probably move some more.

I know that it's not unheard of to have people get in off the waiting list even after the first day of classes. Sometimes, students just don't show up... and the admissions office only then finds out that there's an extra spot and phones up the next person on the list. (That's not a very nice thing to do to another student... but it happens).

Archived