Premed 101 Forums

Interview Help!!

Guest 0nsp

Guest 0nsp

Hey guys,

I'm getting really nervous for my interview :( ,and I obviously don't want to blow it. Can any of you guys offer any tips or advice on this. This is general to all aspects of the UofA interview. What should I be prepared for? What kinds of questions am I likely to get? Should I cut my hair? (I'm a guy, and it's kinda long-- just past the bottoms of my ears). What is the most important thing to say or do or not do during the interview? Oh, and one more question that I've been thinking about a lot, but am having difficulty answering: What reason can I give for wanting to be a doctor that's different from wanting to be a nurse? My friend last year was asked why he wanted to be a doctor, and after listing his reasons, the interviewer asked him "how is that any different from what a nurse does?"

Any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated, on every aspect of the interview.

Thanks so much everyone.

Guest tooks04

Hi!

I haven't posted on this forum much, but I do remember being in your shoes last year, so I thought I would give you my two cents. I guess for reference - I interviewed last year as a 3rd year and was rejected but finished my degree and was accepted this year.

The best thing to do is have a look at some of the posts earlier this year about the U of A interviews... interviews were in reading week and there is a lot of Alberta specific info here. Also, the medical interview topic in this forum is very helpful, there is every conceivable topic. In regards to your nurse question - there is a thread describing the roles of GPs RNs and NPs which could give you some good ideas about how to tackle that question (p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...231.topic) if the link doesn't work it's at the bottom of page 6 in the Medical Interviews topic.

Finally, I would recommend looking up ethical scenarios as well as keeping up on current events -particularly medically related stuff - you can find most of that in this forum. Another great website that I used was: eduserv.hscer.washington....index.html

I did a mock interview last year and I'll never forget what he told me: "be prepared to work in this interview". You will likely get asked questions about yourself, your motivations for wanting to be a doctor and ethical questions. He also described the interview as a roller coaster - they will give you hard questions that make your heart pound and then lighten up with something like "what's your favorite book". Try to keep your composure throughout.

Despite all of the above, I think my biggest mistake last year was being too uptight, nervous and afraid. This year I prepared less, tried to relax and took my time answering the questions methodically. I wouldn't say this year's interview was fabulous -but it was enough to get me in. I hope this is somewhat helpful. GOOD LUCK

Guest Ali

Congratulations on getting your interview! My advice about appearance is make sure you look professional and clean. You don't necessarily have to cut your hair, but make sure that it is tidy and out of your face. In general I recommend that you go in confident. The interview is your opportunity to sell your self. Everybody who gets an interview has the marks to get in, the interview is when the interview commitee can get to know. Be prepared to answer "why you?", (what distinguishes you from the other candidates). Also (assuming that you are a second or third year student) you are probably young and you need to prove to the interviewers that this is something that you have thought about and really want. Medicine is a commitment, how are you sure that it is for you?

As far as why not nursing, this is a personal question and I can think of a variety of reasons. First is there anything that nurses do that you really wouldn't want to do? Do you want to be your own boss? Do you want to be the one making decisions not following directions? Did you have a really inspiring physician in your life? What personally draws you to medicine? It's important to have answers to these types of questions because it will show the interviewers that you have thought about this.

Take your time answering the questions. Think before you speak. Be confident. Good luck.

Archived