<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Grad Student Interview Questions</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>swedeboy</username>

<dateline>1068253260</dateline>

<title>Grad Student Interview Questions</title>

<pagetext>I was just curious to hear any experiences from U of A med students with a graduate studies background and how it came up during the interview.

Where did their focus lie? Was it on how much you accomplished during that period, what your reasons for going into grad school were, or were they just interested in what your research was about? Anything...

And one final question. Did any of you apply during the first year of grad studies with the intent of deferring med school admission in order to finish up the degree? That's my plan for now but I'm not too sure how they would feel about it.

Swedeboy

I did a Masters and it varied at different schools how much they asked me about graduate school. For example, at Western they asked me a lot of stuff about my project and the lab and if I wanted to still do research, etc, etc. But at U of A I don't recall them asking me very many, if any, questions about my graduate work. I would be prepared to explain what your project or thesis is on, in brief terms, and I think it just depends on who your interviewers are if they will ask you a lot of grad school related questions. Sometimes profs are on the interview panel and I would imagine they would ask more research questions than clinicians would.

As for deferring, I wouldn't mention you are planning on deferring if you get in. I would think about what you really want to do, but in my eyes, if I were interviewing I would wonder why you were applying if you weren't even planning on enrolling! Other people may disagree, that's just my point of view.

You may want to bring it up first. Usually, the first question will be, "so swedeboy, why do you want to become a doctor?" In your answer, you may want to bring up your reasons for going to grad school in the first place. Biomedical Engineering is an interesting field, so the committee may want to know more about it and your research. They may also ask if you are interested in radiology/nuclear medicine as a career path in medicine since this seems like a logical extension of your grad student experience. Any questions on your research experience with grad school will likely be brief. The interview is designed to assess your personal traits, not delve into your post-secondary education pursuits.

Personally, I don't think the interview is any different for grad student applicants than it is for undergraduate applicants. No one will ask you if you plan to defer med school next year unless you specifically bring it up in the interview.

Guest swedeboy

Thank you to both fox and shkelo for your responses. You two always seem to hand out good advice!

Fox, since it will probably be apparent in my interview (if I'm lucky enough to receive one) that I'm only half-way through my MSc, I'm assuming one of my interviewers would question why I'm applying now instead of next year (just as you would have). The only answer I can give is stability. My end goal is, of course, to get into medicine but I also want to finish what I started in my MSc. By applying to medicine now I'm giving myself an opportunity to start right after I finish my MSc (assuming I'm accepted in the first place and that my deferral is also). On the other hand, if I wait until next year to apply, I always run the risk of not getting in when I really do need to and then I would be :( . Of course, if the topic doesn't come up, there will be no need to explain my intentions in the first place!

And one final question to shkelo...is AZ your friend in Dr. Bealieu's lab?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Grad students apply to medicine all the time. There is this perception that the student, once in medicine, will leave their supervisor high and dry. As far as I know, this rarely occurs. Your supervisor has likely given you a reference for medicine and you have likely discussed your career plans with him/her. Getting into medicine is not easy and no one will fault you for submitting med school applications while in graduate school. Your experiences will only add to your personal and profressional character.

P.S. My friend is AC.

Guest swedeboy

Shkelo:

AC is a pretty cool person...I'm taking a class with her this semester and just starting to get to know her...She was planning on medicine at one point as well but now I think she's going to stick with grad school and finish off her PhD while I'm jumping ship after this MSc

Fox:

This year will be my first time applying so I'm guessing the chances are probably pretty good that we haven't met...but hopefully next year (or the year after) you will have become a familiar face :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448420</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Truncated Grades at the UofA</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>Spicy Aam</username>

<dateline>1070679720</dateline>

<title>Truncated Grades at the UofA</title>

<pagetext>Hello,

I just noticed that my transcript has finally been inputted into the U of A medical application. What's the deal with truncating the grades for overall (cumulative) average? Why do they do it? Does it happen to all students? Any insight would be great!

Spicy

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448060</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>In or out of province???</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>cptn med</username>

<dateline>1069941720</dateline>

<title>In or out of province???</title>

<pagetext>Hey all, some interesting stuff on here.

I have a quick question regarding the in and out of province rules. I was born in Calgary, but now live in Ontario. So I am wondering if I would be counted as in or out come application time? I realize that in many places you must be living in the province for a period of time before you can be considered "provincial" but I thought I would throw it out there anyways. Thanks.

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>Writing sample cut-off</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>jurgen2003alpha</username>

<dateline>1068826320</dateline>

<title>Writing sample cut-off</title>

<pagetext>Hello.

Now that the U of A is using the MCAT writing sample instead of an essay, does anyone know if the cut-off has changed? Was there ever a cut-off? I thought I would try to find out nice and early so I wouldn't do lots of extra work if I didn't meet the cut-off :)

Thanks!

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>In or out of province???</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Archived