Premed 101 Forums

Personal Attributes - Resume Format?? Please help

Guest Nikhila

Guest Nikhila

Hello everyone,

This is my first year applying to med school and so my first time applying to the University of Alberta. I'm not quite sure how to complete certain questions in the personal attributes section. For example, question 1 asks us to list our employment record. Are you guys doing this in a resume type format? It certainly isn't very pleasing to the eye and readable. I thought that ontario schools were stingy with space, 10 lines is nothing. I spent hours editing my answers to questions but i actually had room to write stuff. With this application, there isn't any room to edit. Anyways, i was just wondering how you guys were approaching that question in the PA section. Thanks

Nikhila

When I applied last year I filled out the employment history part in point form. I wanted to make the best use of the small space they allotted. I chose point form since they wanted a contact name and number, as well as a brief description of what you did in the job (although this may have changed). For the other questions I did not use point form. It is difficult, but you have to be really succinct and keep messing around with wording in order to fit what you want to say in the small box. I found that if I counted ten lines on my screen that that didn't necessarily mean that I was over the limit, I think it actually is more like a word count. I would work on the application, save it, come back the next day and fool around with the wording again, over and over until it sounded right, it contained everything I wished to say, and fit under the limit. It is a lot of work!

Archived