Premed 101 Forums

Personal attributes

Guest XIAP

Seeing that this section is equal in weight to the MCAT this year, what would constitute a perfect set of points in the eyes of the review committee? I am an older student who is having trouble fitting my activities into the tiny boxes, and need this section to make up for one of my low MCAT sections. Any help would be appreciated, i.e. what are they looking for?

Thanks!:D

I really don't think there is one thing they're looking for, and I don't think if we told you what to write that it would really help you. When I look around our class, there is a huge diversity in everyone's backgrounds. Some people have volunteered overseas, but I haven't. Some people did two years of an undergrad, others have PhDs or Masters. I think you need to concentrate on showing you have a life outside of school, and that you are committed enough to stick with things when you start them. It is difficult to fit everything into the small space they allot, but I personally can't tell you what to write. Also, keep in mind that this is the first time the personal attributes section will be counted, so we have no way of knowing how they will be evaluating them.

Guest chiapet921

Hi there!~

Just a quick question as I'm filling out the application as well...how it looks on my screen is how the reviewers will see it right? Should I make an effort to format the layout a bit, or just try to use as much space as possible to outline my activities?

Also...that's the complete application right? There is nothing similar to a 48 item sketch required by OMSAS? So interview or no interview is determined solely by this section, along with GPA and MCAT?

Too many questions, but one more...Q #6 says:

" Is there anything else relevant to your application that you feel the committee should take into consideration? If not, please type 'NO'. "

Does this imply explanations for poor marks or unusal circumstances? My impression is that this is not the same as the optional question offerred in Queen's PIF?

Many thanks for all my troublesome questions! But its my first time applying OOP, so..not really sure what's going on!:\

Guest summervirus

When I applied to med, the application wasn't electronic like it is now. But, if I remember correctly, I think the essays I saw last year did not have any special formatting. Even the paragraph indents were automatically removed by the program before they were printed off for the interviewers to review. My suggestion is that you format the application so that it is organized and can be easily read; but also try to be as comprehensive as possible with your activities.

With regards to the question that asks, "Is there anything else relevant...", I believe it is similar to Queen's question. It's there for you to explain unusual circumstances that have affected your application. If you don't have anything to write, don't feel pressured to write. I didn't.

Good luck!

Guest Lactic Folly

If you click 'continue' - which does not submit the app but lets you review before submitting - you'll see that the formatting comes out quite different than from the boxes where you typed everything in..

Guest Bighead

As for the question #6 thing, I'm under the impression that you got it right. Thats where I would explain poor marks, mcats, etc.

As for the PA section, the school is looking not only for diversity, but for commitment to the things you do. Choose things that you've been doing for a while, and that are important to you, and you should be fine.

Archived