Premed 101 Forums

reference letters for 2004

Guest coastal79

Guest coastal79

Hey, I was just wondering if U of A wants one of the two reference letters to be from someone who has known you in an academic setting? The suggested list of references doesn't include professors but I know that most schools want at least one of you refs to be a prof. But, how many profs can honestly comment on your "moral and ethical character"?

cheers!

Guest Lactic Folly

It might be hard for instructors to know you that well, but profs who were your research supervisors could probably comment in detail. In the instructions they avoided indicating which type of reference was preferable, so I think any suitable references who know you well should work, if between the two of them you can cover all those attributes..

I think the best reference letters are from people who know you well enough to judge you on all the qualities the letters ask for.... Both my letters for U of A were from professors (Master's supervisor, who incidentally knew me very well, including morally and ethically) and a prof from my undergrad (he taught me and I also worked for him). I don't think you can go wrong asking people who know you well, even if they aren't profs, to write you letters, unless they are family friends. In fact, for some schools I had my soccer coach write me a letter since he was able to comment on many things- leadership, commitment, personality, ability to work in a group, etc. One piece of advice: when you ask people to write you letters of reference, ask them if they will write you a GOOD letter of reference. Trust me on this, you don't want to get burned!

Guest Kiwi Kwok

I agree with fox. And if you don't have someone that can write you a thorough reference that covers all your best features, just makes sure that you have at least ONE that is academically-oriented. That seems to be a sure bet for U of A, as well as any other school.

Guest snoopychan

It is extremely important to have referees who know you pretty well, both in the academic and non-academic setting. My referees for U of A were my supervisors from my Masters and Honours projects. They both have taught me classes during undergrad and grad work, and are aware of my extra-curricular activites around the school as such coordinating the health sciences soccer at U of Ottawa, in which they and their children participate. Both referees have know me for over 3 years.

I, and also my referees, found it useful to provide them with your resume and relevent parts of your application, so that they can get a sense of your true determination to get into medicine, and to bring things to their attention that they can use in their letters.

Best of luck!

Archived