Premed 101 Forums

Stevens. Histology

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Histology. Stevens, A., Lowe, J. 1992. Gower Medical Publishing. New York.

ISBN: 0-397-44633-0

Chapters/Indigo.ca price: $74.95

Pages: 378

This book is an intermediate between Junqueira and Wheater's. Like the previous two books, it is divided into organ systems, which makes it compatible with most Canadian med school curriculums. However, I think that in the attempt to provide both pictures and text descriptions, that it really doesn't do a good job at either.

I didn't use this book very often, as I grew frustrated with its lack of detailed content. I would consistently find more slides on any given tissue using Wheater's, and would read a better text description from Junqueira. What I eventually ended up using it for was as a supplemental addition of certain slides. It has colour light microscopy slides, colour diagrams, and relatively few EM's compared to either Wheater's or Junqueira.

I think that if you are going to approach Histology, that you might be best off finding out how your curriculum tests you, and what detail you need to visually recognise slides. From there, decide whether Wheater's or Junqueira would be a better purchase, and see what resources the school anatomy/histology lab can contribute. I think you'd be best served by purchasing either Wheater's or Junqueira (depending on which one is more appropriate), and then checking out other resources to make up for that book's deficiencies rather than buy this compromise book. I inherited this book for free, and that's about the only way that I can recommend owning this text.

Archived