Premed 101 Forums

Clerkship and the Strike

Guest physiology

Guest physiology

Are clerks supposed to respect the picket lines set up at BC hospitals?

Or are they considered essential workers? And what about PBL classes that happen at UBC Hospital? Have they been relocated?

Guest Ian Wong

Classes aways continued as best they could while I was a medical student. I assume they would now as well; of course, if your standardized patient doesn't show up, or worse yet, your REAL patients don't show up, then obviously there's nothing you can do but go home and watch TV, er, hit the books at the library.

As a medical student/resident, you have every right/obligation to be in the hospital, and the picketers understand that; you shouldn't have any difficulty getting by them, although the tension level in this particular strike is probably higher than virtually any in recent years.

Ian

Guest Ollie

Hi,

I'm not at med student (I'm a grad student). My lab is across the street from the BC Cancer Agency (surrounded by pickets), and I've had to go into both the BCCA and UBC hospital this week. I had no problems with the picketers, and I haven't witnessed of heard of any confrontation with people needing to cross the picket line. In fact I found the picketers to be quite friendly! So I guess that clerks shouldn't have a problem either. But as Ian mentioned, they may find an absence of patients!

Guest not rex morgan

The strike is effecting different clerkship rotations differently. Those in surgery or a surigal subspecialty are missing out on all of the elective surgeries. Depending on whether or not you're interested in surgery, this is either a good thing or a bad thing as far as workload goes. In either case, you're really not getting the experience the rotation is supposed to offer. I'm doing medicine right now and the medical wards are basically uneffected. There was one night of call (sadly not mine) where none of the students got a single admission. I had call last night and did two admissions plus quite a bit of ward call, and got a little over two hours sleep. Some people think the strike is the reason for some slow nights of call, but I have yet to experience that. I do notice that getting investigations is much slower than normal as we're operating on essential services level right now. I think this is what is prolonging the night, and possibly making up for less people coming into the hospital.

As for protesters, I haven't been approached by one. I have noticed them asking people who were crossing if they were in the HEU, but that's sort of the extent of it. I have heard of one student being hassled at another hospital, but I don't know the details, so I can't really comment much more on that.

As for tension on the wards, it's not really that high. Most people don't talk about the ethics of the strike. I've heard some diplomatic responses like "our union is honouring the pickets." Late at night, you might get into a conversation about it, but I've not heard any arguements.

It sounds really terrible, but the general consensus is that most people are most effected by the fact that the cafeteria is not open.

Archived