Premed 101 Forums

how important is it to have work experience, really!

Guest richmond604

Guest richmond604

Hi all,

I'm applying for some med school next year hopefully. I have a question that has bothered me. How important is it to have work experience for an applicant? Is it absolutely necessary to have work experience? Has anybody got in to medicine without having some sort of paid work?

I have very little paid work experience but have quite a bit of volunteer experience (compared to paid work experience of course). Will this compensate for the lack of work experience?

I know having a "real" job shows dedication, maturity etc, but say if someone didn't need money, and decided to volunteer instead.....you get the idea

thanks,

Rich

Same boat as you Rich, I'm currently in second year.

I have plenty of volunteering experiences under my belt but no work experiences (that are paid) for the very reason that I don't need the money and that I wanted more variety and flexibility in the volunteer work that I pursued; couldn't get the same kind of experiences had I insisted that the work I did was paid.

So you would think that volunteer experiences should demonstrate just as much dedication and committment if not more than work experiences right? after all, you are sacrificing your time and energy to do something meaningful unrewardedly

Guest scrubbed

Briefly,

I don't think that it should be a problem. Inasmuch as medical schools shouldn't discriminate against people who have to do work during unndergraduate degrees and the experiences that they get from those work experiences, they shouldn't discriminate against those who do not elect to work.

As long as your volunteer experiences indicate commitment, exposure to a diverse array of settings, the ability to work with others, and the attainment of a personally meaningful experience, then you should be in good shape.

Take care.

Guest noncestvrai

Some people can't make that choice. Consider yourself fortunate! There are no medschool applications alike, you can show your interest and commitment (to whatever), in many different ways, nothing is set in stone.

noncestvrai

Guest adduction

I was in your boat two years ago when I first applied to med. I had volunteer experience up to my ears but no work experience.

When I didn't get in (didn't even get an interview) my first time applying without having really worked (paid employment) I scrutinized my application and felt this was an area of weakness. I hadn't really worked at all by the time I was in 3rd year undergrad and it was something I always wanted to do to start earning. That in combination with my inability to land an interview motivated me to fix that area of my application...

I'd suggest taking some employment opportunities in the summer - not just for the sake of putting it on your application when you apply - but overall to better round yourself. My job required me to network and interact with a lot of strangers which helped me overcome my shyness for sure...I benefited a lot (not just financially) from my experience so it's definitely something I'd recommend! (I'm still working at that job now even during my first year of medical school at UBC because i loved it so much! albeit shorter ...much shorter..hours).

If you can, find some work.

SOmething else to consider...what would your impression be if you were on the admission committee and a person submitted an application with a blank section? (Employment History)

Guest Snoop Docc

In many other situations i would say that you're fortunate for being in a position to avoid employment. In this case however, work experience is not merely a 'sign' of maturity, it IS maturity. It's experience working with other people in dynamic situations and encountering situations that deviate from the norm - (for extended periods of time).

I would also suggest that many med-selection committees require volunteer work, and won't consider your volunteer experience in lieu of employment. That said, if your only reason for volunteering is because it's required of you and/or "looks good on your CV", then perhaps you should reconsider your motivation for applying to med schools.

Archived