Premed 101 Forums

Referees and other doubts

Guest eagersat

Guest eagersat

Guys, please tell me whether referees should send in their documents by 3 Oct or do they have more time. I want to give my referees more time this new year- I am in third year. Or can I ask second year profs? Can the referees be from High school. This application thing is panicking me. Any tips regarding this sketch, autosketch etc? Kristeen I really appreciate all the help you have been giving. Sincere thanks. Thanks in advance to all

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Regarding referees, you can invite folks to write you letters from any year of your university program, or from any activity outside of university. What counts most is to select people who are willing to write you a strong and convincing letter of support. The university year in which they taught you is less important when choosing between second and third year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi Kirsteen (or any other successful med applicants):

I also have the same question. From what people tell me, the deadline for October 3 is not very strict for OMSAS to receive reference letters from the referees. Or is it? I mean if they arrive say October 15 @ OMSAS, will they still be considered part of the application?

thanks

mirwat

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hey

I think one of my referees submitted his letter sometime in early December, and I got in, so don't worry. Of all the deadlines in the meds application process, this one is the most flexible.

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (OpenBSD)

iD8DBQFDJyth/HNgbK3bC2wRAsbeAJwIoN7EUQMEnwbftxnsSQ9laj47HACdE6K6

qoTv9mDlkGVJ3ozdUPpOMkE=

=M3Q+

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest doctorinthehouse

Regarding deadlines for referees. The deadline is extremely flexible for the reference letters. This year, they lost one of my reference letters (which apparently happens quite frequently), so I had to get another one sent in extremely late. As with ploughboy, I also got in, so it obviously doesn't matter that much. Don't sweat it.

The deadline is NOT strict at all as others have mentioned. You can use anyone as a referee (profs, employers, supervisors, etc). Don't forget, most people are going to have excellent references because no one is going to use a referee who would give you a negative 'review'. I imagine (but I don't know) that the referee forms are basically used as a red flag and that there isn't much weight given towards them in the admissions process. I'd spend more time focusing on your sketch responses than worrying about referee stuff.

For the letters, is it okay to send say, 3 letters of reference ( all signed and sealed), within the same express mailer?

I'm just thinking it may be more safe, and cost efficient to do this...

dr555

Guest rBurgundy

Heard from ad.comm member (U of T med student) that reference letters were 2nd most important part of application next to GPA. Don't know if any other ad.comm from U of T can confirm.

Guest eagersat

Sincere thanks guys, again. Can I give a high school teacher who knows me very well, for seven years, as a referee? Doubts plague me.

Also what is this MCAT-AAMC ID? Is this the same as the social insurance number?! I dont have any other number!Thanks again

Archived