Premed 101 Forums

Verifiers

Guest anuanuanu

Guest anuanuanu

I understand on the omsas application that verifiers may be contacted for an activity. My question is... does a verifier have to be someone who can describe HOW you performed an activity (like a supervisor etc.) or is it just sufficient that they be able to verify that you did the activity at all (like a volunteer department at a hospital ie. they never actually observed you doing your activity but they have a record that it was done)? Thanks for any feedback!

I don't see any reason why the former would be ideal or preferable over the latter. Verifiers are not references, they are verifiers. I would think that volunteer departments (etc) would be ideal because if it was necessary to verify your activity, they would be the easiest for the school to get in contact with.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I agree with peachy. The purpose of the verifier requirement is to ensure that folks don't fill their essays and sketches with activities and claims that didn't happen. A verifier is someone who can give account that you actually did what you said you did. They don't have to comment on how well you performed in any activity. So as long as you include the name of someone who can state that you're telling the truth then you should be fine.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest scrubbed

I should've expanded on this a bit more.

Some schools, such as UBC, do contact the verifiers and do ask them to describe a bit more about the applicant's activity.

I imagine that there are schools that do not, and even for schools that do, it's possible that they might move on to another activity if the verifier for one activity cannot provide much detail.

I hope that clears my comments up.

Archived