Premed 101 Forums

So Confused!

Guest silverjelly86

Guest silverjelly86

I've got tons of questions, so if anyone can help me, it would be wonderful!

These are all about OMSAS applications.

What is that autobiographical submission that everyone's talking about. I wasn't aware that there was one (and 700 word limit?)

How much can we write in our sketch (48 limit). All I can see is one line that may take, say, 40 characters.

Can you use a relative (example: parent) as a verifier if they run a business that you worked for - and are the only ones that can attest that you did it?

In the Undergraduate Academic Record, where it asks to list course names,

symbols, and grades, what would I put for the grade in which I received a

transfer credit? (I received credit for a full year of English because I

received a grade of 4 on the Advanced Placement exam).

Where in the Autobiographical Sketch would I put the verifier list

number? Do I use the exact verifier number and exact autobiographical

submissions if I am applying to the University of Ottawa?

Also, for the University of Ottawa, do I need to include verifiers in the detailed autobiographical sketch, since they are already in the general sketch?

If I tutored, but was paid for it, would it be under extracurricular or under employment?

One more question: If I did significant research as part of my employment, would I put them under separate entries in the sketch section?

Oops; one more: does recreational reading count as extracurricular activities?

I can answer some of your questions at least.

For the 48 item sketch, that one line of about 40 characters is it for each item. Most items tend to be "volunteer in emergency room (4)" and then you could put "Sick Kids" as the location for example. You put the verifier number in that 40 character space in some form or another. Some people have it as "volunteer in emergency room-4" for example to save characters.

I used a parent as a verifier for a few items on my sketch that others couldn't verify. As long as they aren't verifying MOST items on your sketch, I don't see a problem with it. I included reading as an extracurricular on my sketch last year and used my mother to verify it (to answer two questions there!).

If you were tutored and paid for it, I'd put it under employment.

Perhaps someone else can answer your other questions. I didn't apply to Ottawa, so I can't help you with those specific questions.

Good luck!

Archived