Premed 101 Forums

Sending references by express?

Guest HenryTheBig

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I used ExpressPost envelopes for all letters that had to be sent to medical schools. With ExpressPost envelopes you receive a tracking number, so you can confirm when the reference letter arrives at the school. Also, in the unfortunate event where your referee affirms that the letter was sent, but the school doesn't receive it, you can provide the school with proof of mailing while you request another letter. One caveat: although you are provided with a tracking number, unless Canada Post has improved since years past, they tend not to be as speedy as non-government subsidized companies such as FedEx for updating their online tracking information.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest FlamingSheep

Is ExpressPost not considered a courier service?

On the confidential assessment form, it states, "OMSAS does not encourage you to use courier services."

Thanks a bunch!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Canada Post's courier service is called Priority Courier. That service is distinct from and quite a bit more pricey than ExpressPost, which is not technically a courier service. For one, Priority Courier is usually delivered by a dedicated delivery team and generally requires a signature upon delivery, akin to the service provided by FedEx and co. ExpressPost letters are delivered by the mailman and only require a signature at destination if you pay extra for it.

Interesting that OMSAS does not encourage courier delivery. I wonder if it might be due to a requirement of extra manpower on their end to receive and sign for the items?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest FlamingSheep

And if I don't pay extra so that the receiver has to sign for the letter, it can still be tracked?

Thanks again for explaining the mysterious world of snail mail to me.

Guest Lactic Folly

Yes, you can still get tracking without the signature option. There's a barcode on the Xpresspost envelope which is scanned and allows you to follow its journeys across Canada.

Archived