Premed 101 Forums

How bad does it look to take 4 courses?

Guest choisir

Guest choisir

I'm starting 1st year of undergrad, and I'm having a bit of a dilemna. I'm in a combined arts and science program so my schedule isn't 'typical' I guess. As I have it now I'm taking 4 courses, for a total of 14.5 credits on Mcgill's scale. ('Normal' course load here is 15 credits, 5 courses of 3 credits each)

Right now for first semester I have Calculus 2 (4 credits), Japanese Language (4.5 credits) Biology (3 credits) and Ecomonics (3 credits). If I wanted to add another course though I'd be at 17.5 credits and almost everyone has advised against that first semester.

My second semester is at 5 courses (17.5 credits, so in the end my total for the year would be above the normal load anyway) , and afterwards I intend to be taking 5 courses throughout.

I have the chem, phys, and half the calc reqs from before. I'd just have to do the org next year.

I'm kind of worried right now reading over some of the admissions websites, it seems as though I'd get severely penalized just because of one semester (even though I'm only .5 under) At an advising meeting the guy said that when they talk about 5 courses they mean after first year, but I just want to be sure that I shouldn't try and add another course this semester. What do you guys think?

Guest scrubbed

Hey choisir

For U of T, and for other programs as well, from

www.facmed.utoronto.ca/En...l#acadprog

5) What is the weighting formula?

The weighting formula is a method of GPA calculation eliminating some lower course marks. It is in place to encourage applicants to pursue rigourous and advanced coursework without penalty. It is applied only for applicants who have taken a full course load of five full-year courses (or the equivalent) each year in the regular academic session, and who have at least three completed years at the time of application.

The Admissions Office will recalculate the GPA, eliminating the applicable number of marks. Briefly, a student with three completed years may drop the three lowest full-year course marks, or six lowest semester course marks, or any combination thereof. A student applying with four completed years may drop the four lowest full-year course marks, or eight lowest semester course marks, or any combination thereof.

Thus, it may not be frowned upon, at U of T at least, not to take a full courseload, but you wouldn't be able to apply the weighting formula, which can improve your GPA quite a bit if you have a couple of rotten apples in the bunch.

I believe Western requires a full courseload for any years counted towards medical school admissions, but most schools don't require it, but encourage students to do so.

You should be in good shape as you describe.

Good luck with your first year.

If you take less than 30 credits for the full year, then you don't get the weighting formula.

But I thought you said that you were taking 14.5 first semester + 17.5 second semester for a total of 32 credits for the full year. Then you will get the weighting formula applied. It doesn't matter how you spread out the credits, it's how many you take over the full year that matters.

Guest choisir

I guess that's what I needed to know...when they look at courseload, if they're looking at the year overall I'd be fine right? Just making sure they don't look at each individual semester.

Guest HenryTheBig

Hey,

I read on the U of T site a while back that 28 credits actually is enough for the weighting formula. I think I saw this in the Question & Answer section. Yes, they do say 5 full credits is needed but with the other credit system they allow 28 as the minimum.

Henner

Archived