Premed 101 Forums

BIOL 139 at UW

Guest roboboy69

Guest roboboy69

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anybody's taken this course (Genetics) at University of Waterloo via distant education. I was thinking about taking it this Fall, but wanted some information on other's experiences with this course if possible and how useful they found it

Thanks,

RB

Guest avarrin2001

I have never taken the course by DE, but I did take it and have TA'd it. Its a good course - though, if you are in first year you may find it a bit heavy. The most important thing about genetics is that it is a pre-req for many other courses you may be interested in, and even if it isnt stated as a pre-req in the calendar, it does help for many courses.

Guest ADD100

Hi,

I found Biol 139 to give more empasis on understanding the concepts than pure memorization. Many students found the mid-term very hard (average of class ended up being ~60%, although that is still higher than the averages some other classes had), because there were many mathematically challenging questions. Hence, we not only had to memorize information, as was the case in Biol 130, but also had to be able to understand and apply the understanding to solve different problems. Having said that, I found it very interesting, way more so than Biol 130, and it definitely is required for many other interesting senior-level courses, as avarrin2001 said. Good Luck.

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hi roboboy,

Got your pm, and will reply shortly, but I thought I'd toss this up right away...

I took 139 last summer, though not by DE. I found it quite interesting (I really like genetics) and helpful for the BS section of the MCAT.

My prof was Dr. Duxbury. If you go to sites like ratemyprofessor.ca you will see that she isn't particularly well-liked by her students. That wasn't my experience. I thought she was an absolute hoot, but then again I was an atypical undergrad, and I don't think she interacted with me the same way she did with bog-standard 1st-year biology student (e.g. every morning before class she'd yak my ear off - I think she can talk for a good five minutes without pausing for breath, it was pretty funny. All I had to do was smile and nod. It did get a little awkward when she'd start complaining to me about the other students, however... :( )

She also took time to explain some MCAT genetics passages to me, even though they weren't directly related to the 139 syllabus. I was impressed by that.

Do be warned however, that Cheryl's tests (and also the tests in 140L and whatever other courses she runs) are *extremely* difficult and nit-picky.

Cheers,

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFDH6J3/HNgbK3bC2wRAgzrAKCR//5mMBaOQvSCP56qNlnMQaSEXgCfZ0Uk

u4my8Hs8ykB5no5nbRXPGjg=

=QIga

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Archived