Premed 101 Forums

Advice for older applicant

Guest ilisten

Guest ilisten

Hi there - I am very new to this site and have a number of questions.

First off I'm 36 and applying to McMaster. I am in the process of completing a Graduate degree in Couns. Psych at UofT - I'm doing it part time while working full time as a psychotherpaist. I've been counselling for the part 5 years - completed my 4 year honours undergrad in Environmental Studies in 1996. I had a bum 1st year that really set my GPA back - it's 3.24 (However, I made up for it - by 4th year I ended up graduating on the deans list) - I know that MM's GPA is 3.0 and I've read all the posts on that topic - I'm just looking for an honest answer - should I bother with a 3.24 and being 36 years old? What are your thoughts? Two strikes against me - right from the getgo....

My graduate degree won't be completed until April 2006 therefore I can't use that .1 (big deal) to up my GPA.

Your honesty would be greatly appreciated!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Although your undergraduate GPA is a hindrance, it's not a deal-breaker as far as entering an MD program goes. In terms of the academic portion of your application, it's very good that you trended towards the Dean's list in undergrad. Also, if your graduate marks are A- or above, then that will certainly help to boost the academic portion of your application too. Also, did you manage to achieve some publications and presentations during your graduate work? If not, will you be able to by the time you apply for medical school? At some schools, these will be essential for balancing your earlier academic history.

At this point, I'd say that you have a shot at getting in to medical school as long as you present the rest of your application in its best possible light. ...and go for it, if that's what you want to do. It would be well worth your while to construct a spreadsheet that contains application information for all the medical schools that you fancy. It will give you a much clearer idea of how your profile would fit with the application process of each school.

Cheers, and all the best,

Kirsteen

Guest satsumargirl

Hey,

I think it's always good to just apply if you meet the minimums otherwise you will spend your life asking yourself "What if".

You mentionned you were applying to MAC. Would you consider applying to other schools that use weighted GPAs? That way your first year may not even count and your GPA may be more competitive at another school.

If it's a matter of not wanting to write the MCAT, Ottawa doesn't require it either. I just moved to Ottawa this week to start med school this fall....and it seems like a great city to spend 4 years!

Good luck

Sats

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ilisten

Thanks a lot for the encouragement - you're all absolutely right - if I don't do this - regardless of the odds - I will regret it forever.

I'm applying to Mac for a few reasons - geographic reasons - the program itself - their ethics around admitting older applicants - no MCAT - and the fact that I own a house in the city with my partner that we're not prepared to sell in order to relocate.

I think it's great that you're all taking the time to support and encourage others - it's much appreciated.

Archived