Premed 101 Forums

Psychotherapist as Reference?

Guest ilisten

Guest ilisten

Hi - I had originally posted this as a response under another heading and was hoping to get some responses - here is my original post - any thoughts?

Hi there - I'm relatively new to this forum and have so many questions! I'll begin with references.

I'm an older student - completed my 4 year honours undergrad in 1996 and just wrapping up a graduate degree now in Counselling Psych (I've been completing it part/time while working full/time) - Needless to say - my references are limited. I used an undergrad prof to apply to grad school but that was 2 years ago - I'm not sure how strong a reference he will be after having taught me 9 years ago - thoughts?

Also, I have been seeing a doctor turned psychotherapist for the past 5 years for personal development - she knows me better than anyone and is willing to write me a glowing reference - however, she's strongly advised me against it - given that psychotherapy is still frowned upon in the medical community (except of course psychiatry and some family docs). My therapist warned that if I'm selected for an interview and have a surgeon on my panel her reference will be a strike against me.

I agree with her - but I still can't help thinking what an incredible reference it will be and given that my options for references are limited I'm feeling stuck.

I have been working as a psychotherapist myself for the past 5 years and have a reference from my supervisor - however she is a Social Worker - I was hoping to use my therapist given the fact that she was once a family doc.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Guest Jochi1543

Is she your shrink, basically? I'm not sure I quite understand your relationship. If you are her patient, that doesn't sound right to me and may present you in a questionable light to the review panel.

You say she's a "doctor turned psyhotherapist," if she doesn't treat you, can you just have her focus on the fact that she's an MD and not a psychotherapist?8o

Guest scrubbed

Hi ilisten,

Personally, I would go with your latter choice. Jochi brings up a good point about the message it may present to the admissions committe. In addition, I know they suggest not to use friends or family members as references. The initimate personal nature of your relationship, then, may preclude you from using her. Of course, if anyone with more insight than I have into your situation argues otherwise, his or her advice may be appropriate. It is too bad, as I can imagine what positive things that she would say about you. I can't comment about how psychotherapy is viewed in the medical community now, but I think admissions have become a bit more objective over the years as more students from non-traditional programs and backgrounds are applying. It's something to think about.

As for the social worker reference, I wouldn't look down upon it as she isn't a physician. Many people gain entrance into medicine without having a physician's reference letter. It sounds as if you have a strong relationship with her as well, and if she can specifically comment on your strengths using examples, then it would be a fabulous reference.

I think that's it's great that your coming from a non-traditional background, and I think that you could use those skills, and others, to benefit patients in the future.

All the best.

I got into medicine without having a reference from a physician!!! (you do NOT need a reference from a physician). References from anyone that knows you well (and are not a friend, family member, family friend) are usually acceptable.

That said, I would NOT use your psychotherapist, family doctor, dentist, priest if your sole relationship with them is 'professionally'. If you have worked for them/volunteered with them in another capacity, go for it. Otherwise, I wouldn't.

Guest ilisten

Hi all - yes the psychotherapist is my 'therapist' - and I have been seeing her professionally.

Thanks to all of you for your feedback - you've really helped me in my decision. It would be in my best interest not to use her as a reference - you're right!

I've gotten too caught up in reading posts and literature about the advantages of having a physician as a reference and have lost sight of the strength of other options.

Thanks again.

Archived