Premed 101 Forums

organic chem

Guest ckim01

Guest ckim01

2 questions

1. does anyone know how strict med schools are with prereq's? For example, I have yet to take organic chemistry which is a prereq for western... will they just sort of mark down that i have not taken organic chem and go thru my application or not look at my application since i don't have the prereq's.

2. and say I do take the course... I will not be able to take it until winter 2006. this is when my applications have already been sent and my transcript shows that I have yet to take organic chem. how will they know I am going to take the course before I graduate??

Guest blinknoodle

For UWO specifically, you can take your pre-reqs whenever so long as they are finished before the end of August. This means a winter term is definitely ok, and it was ok when some of my classmates had to do courses in the summer terms before school started. In fact, I don't think UWO will check that you've completed your pre-reqs until after you've been offered a conditional acceptance - and if you never take the pre-req courses, your offer of admission will be revoked.

Guest ckim01

just one more question blinknoodle,

what about gpa?? do med schools only look at the last 2 COMPLETED gpa's or the one you are currently working on?

For example, I'm going into 4th year. Would med schools only look at 1st, 2nd and 3rd year gpa's since my 4th year one is incomplete as of the application time?

Guest Saberial

It all depends on what school your applying to, you should really check up on their websites. Schools like Western, Queens, Calgary take your best two years. UofT, UofO have a weighting system to calculate the cumulative GPA.

Guest blinknoodle

Yup, it definitely depends on the school.

For UWO, you only need 1 year above the GPA cut-offs for an interview, but need 2 years above the cut-offs to gain admission which can include your current year (so in your case, it can be your fourth year).

Guest ckim01

hmm.. my question was more like..

How can they count your final year of gpa since you are not finished it... i mean interviews go out around May but thats when most people just finished writing their final exams.

thanks for your replies.

Guest flying kumquat

I think that for the majority of schools, they don't. I applied during my 4th year of undergrad. Of the schools I applied to (Dal, McGill, UofO, Queen's, UofT, Mac, UofA), only Alberta was interested in having my transcript for my 4th year fall marks. I think the only way your current year marks come into play for most schools is by allowing you to remain eligible to keep an admission or waitlist offer, eg. at Queen's, although your 4th year marks weren't considered initially in the application process, if you were offered admission or a waitlist position, your gpa had to be above 3.66 in your 4th/current year to retain that offer.

Archived