Premed 101 Forums

how many hours does a primary physician work per week?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

I know the number may varies, but how many hours does a "primary" physician (i.e family physician) usually work each week? What is the ball park range. Is such statstics published somewhere? Thanks!

Guest aneliz

Keep in mind that if a family doc spends 51 hours 'at work' they spend a bunch more time doing things like billings, reading mail, CME, etc.

Most of the family docs that I have worked with that were doing 'full time' family medicine were starting with hospital rounds ~6:30 AM and then work straight through until ~5-5:30 PM with a half hour or so for lunch five days per week. Most would then do about an hour or so of reading/paper work at home in the evening. Those that were part of a FHG would also do a three hour 'evening' shift one night per week seeing patients.

Those that did deliveries, were often on call 24-7 for deliveries every other week (alternating with another family doc) or just 24-7 if they didn't have a call partner.

Guest Jochi1543

So I guess if a doctor works independently and has an assistant to deal with the logistics of running an office, he or she is likely to work less than 51 hours?8o

Guest aneliz

Most doctors do have somebody to help with the logistics of running the office... but there is still a lot of paper work that your 'assistant' just can't fill out (insurance forms, MoT medical forms, camp physical forms, letters to insurance companies/lawyers re: patients condition/treatment, etc). Unless they are only working 'part-time' (ie three days per week, etc) I can't see how the average 'full-time' family doc would work much less than 51 hours per week. Unless they scheduled 'paper work' into their day and didn't see patients during part of it.

Guest UWOMED2005

Family Doctors work extremely varied hours. They are their own bosses and can set whatever hours they want - I've met mom 'GP's who only work 20 hrs/wk because they want to spend time with their kids. . . and older GPs who work 1-2 days a week because they still want to keep at it, but want to be "semi" retired.

Thing is, if you work less hours you get paid accordingly.

And Aneliz is correct. . . as a GP, there is a lot of time managing your practice (paperwork, etc) which you won't get paid for!!

Archived