Premed 101 Forums

what is consider a competitive GPA for med school admission?

Guest smooth operater

Guest smooth operater

Given that an applicant doesn't have a spectacular extra-curricular activities (i.e oversea mission in third world country), just common volunteering activities that most pre-med do (i.e tutor kids @ community center, organize events for clubs ect..), What is consider a competitive GPA for such applicant?

I was kinda shock to see one of poster mentioned 3.7 (= A-) is "borderline" GPA for med schools in Canada? Then do applicants without spectacular actitivties need like 3.9-4.0 average?

Guest kaymcee

Goodness no!

Read this: Admission Requirements of Canadian Faculties of Medicine. It will show you that a GPA of 3.7 isn't borderline; rather, it is a little below the mean of those who gain admission to medical schools. This document is filled with cold, hard facts rather than heresay.

This board is a great resource, but due to the sometimes alarmist nature of such an excitable group like us pre-medical students, things can often be made out to be extremely difficult if not impossible. (It looks as though you've been around for awhile, so I'm sure you've noticed this.)

Archived