Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letters

Guest HenryTheBig

Guest HenryTheBig

Hey,

I'm wondering how long are reference letters usually. Are they half a page, a whole page, 2 pages? I know it depends on the reference but I'm wondering what is the usual case. Also, do you think a reference from a family GP who knows me well would be okay? Has anyone used this before?

Henner

Guest Anish  P

hey Henner,

I think its fair to say that for the average undergrad applicant, reference letters range from half a page to a full page. I could be wrong, though... I only really know how long my own ref letters were. Your reference letters just need to be long enough to hit all your strong points etc... if its too long and winded, the adcom person reading it might get put off and cranky.

However, if you were say, a grad applicant, then your reference letters (eg. from your prof) might be a little longer since they might go more in-depth about your research, etc....

About using your GP as a reference: I did, since I have known my GP for a long time, and I was fortunately able to use him as a "personal" reference who could say good things about my character (honest, good natured, etc.). So, I would say that if you can get a good ref from your GP, go for it[1]!

Anish

[1] Unless, of course, you are related somehow to your GP... in which case, I would say that using them (or any other family member) would be a bad idea.

Heh, I remember the instructions on UBC's last year's reference form explicitly told referees to write on a separate page. When I asked my supervisor to write it, I saw how long it was (I never read it, because that would be wrong), but it was three pages! I told him, dude, that's pretty long. He's like meh, got stuff to say, if they want to read it, they'll read it.

Didn't seem like a problem that my reference letter was longer than specified or instructed. I got in anyway. As long as there is good stuff to say, I feel that the adcom will read it.

Kupo

Guest ilisten

Hi there - I'm relatively new to this forum and have so many questions! I'll begin with references.

I'm an older student - completed my 4 year undergrad in 1996 and just wrapping up a graduate degree now in Counselling Psych (I've been completing it part/time while working full/time) - Needless to say - my references are limited. I used an undergrad prof to apply to grad school but that was 2 years ago - I'm not sure how strong a reference he will be after having taught me 9 years ago - thoughts?

Also, I have been seeing a doctor turned psychotherapist for the past 5 years for personal development - she knows me better than anyone and is willing to write me a glowing reference - however, she's strongly advised me against it - given that psychotherapy is still frowned upon in the medical community (except of course psychiatry and some family docs). My therapist warned that if I'm selected for an interview and have a surgeon on my panel that her reference will be a strike against me.

I agree with her - but I still can't help thinking what an incredible reference it will be and given that my options for references are limited I'm feeling stuck.

I have been working as a psychotherapist myself for the past 5 years and have a reference from my supervisor - however she is a Social Worker.

Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Archived