Premed 101 Forums

Course Coherence

Guest Avi44

I was reading on some medical school websites that they require you to take a minimum amount of courses from your actual year of study. In third year, I might be taking 7 half credit thir year courses, and 5 half credit second year courses. Will this be okay for places such as U of T?

Guest kaymcee

60% is the general rule-of-thumb for the policy you're describing (3 out of 5 full-year courses, according to the UofT website.. 7/12 is 59%, so it might be risky.

The purpose of Toronto's policy is to prevent people from taking a whole bunch of potentially easy first year courses for the sole purpose of padding their GPA. However, all numbers aside, if you are taking some lower level courses to pursue another area of study, I think that would be looked upon favourably. It is, afterall the mandate of the UofT to "encourage students to take demanding, advanced courses which advance their education during their undergraduate years," which I interpret as the desire to study lots of different subjects. Besides, most people don't have a lot of elective space until third year, forcing you to take some first year courses then.

Archived