Premed 101 Forums

Ad Coms & Commitments

Guest Elliott

Guest Elliott

I am on the fence about something and wanted to see if I could get a little feedback:

I have been at my current job for three and a half years now (I am 24). It is a good job, in a corporate company. I worked there full time during a two year break from school and now I have been working there in the summers full time and part time during the school year.

Problem is, I am really starting to dislike it there. The people are wonderful, the pay is good - I just don't feel any challenge there anymore. I am an Admin Assistant, so basically all I do all day is stuff people are too lazy to do themselves.

I would like to resign from my position but I am contemplating several dilemmas:

1. I want to show commitment to something on my med school app. If I leave now, would it look bad on my part?

2. I think someone at my work is a very promising candidate for a reference - is it inappropriate to resign and still ask for a LOR from them?

Thoughts/experiences/etc. greatly appreciated!!

Elliott

Guest peachy
1. I want to show commitment to something on my med school app. If I leave now, would it look bad on my part?
Don't make a decision like this based on how it'll look on your application. Make a decision based on what is right for you, and for your life. Then when they ask you about it in the interview or the essay you will be able to truly and passionately explain why you made the choices that you did.

That's pretty deep peachy, I totally agree.

I think it depends on your supervisor, and how you leave your job. I was in the same boat a few years ago. After working for a company full time for a few years, it was gut wrenching to tell them I was leaving - they treated me very well, and my time of departure would be during a crucial time in the project.

I felt the professional thing to do was to give them plenty of notice, leave my work in a state that it had the least detriment to my team, and find my replacement. I gave them about 3-4 months notice. I explained that there was a Master's program out there in a field I've always been interested in and I had been accepted. The supervisor was understanding, and I made every effort on my part (working late evenings and weekends) to leave my work in the best state possible and tie up all the loose ends. I later used him as a reference for my scholarship application, and he also said I was welcome back if I ever changed my mind.

From my master's the med school thing was easier. I guess the difference in my case is that I had a certain offer.

Good luck

Guest Elliott

Thanks Peachy, I appreciate the input.

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're getting at - the thing is, I think we all do things we don't really want to do because ultimately we want to get into med school.

I mean really, do you think we could all say that from the goodness of our hearts we would volunteer the amount we do even if we didn't want to go to med school? I know I have ended up volunteering at some absolutely thankless places in my endeavours to add things to my ec's list...

You are absolutely right that one should not stay in a position they are unhappy with, regardless of what they are trying to acheive.

Guess I've got lots to think about :)

E

Guest Elaine I

Hi Elliott,

I can honestly say that I volunteer where I I do because I want to, NOT because I'm applying to med school. I believe in the organizations that I volunteer with. I support their visions. As such, I give of my time. Do I get anything out of it? You bet! My work with the Youth Science Foundation has allowed me to meet some of Canada's best high school students, and even mentor the girl who went on to win best in the country this year! Had I been only working on doing things that I though would have looked good on my application, I wouldn't have taken the time to work with that student the year that she just missed making the national team. Sitting and talking with her for 45 minutes after a disappointing awards ceremony (for her) wasn't easy, but that is what helping people is all about.

I truly believe that my passion for my volunteer work will come out in my med school interviews. If I was just doing things to score points, I wouldn't have the enthusiasm that I do for the kids that I get to work with each year. Even more importantly, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to learn from these people, nor become the person I am. I wouldn't give that up, regardless of med school. In fact, I won't be giving up this work even if I do get into med school. Who I am will either mean that I get into med school or I don't, but regardless, that's who I am.

I know that sounds kind of corny; however, it is what I believe. Do what you want to do, and what you believe is right. Don't do something just for the sake of getting into med school. You will regret it. Getting involved with activities that you enjoy, and from which you will learn from, will not only help your application, but will help shape you into the person who will make a better doctor (or whatever other profession you decide to enter).

Elaine

hello,

First of all, I suggest that you wait UNTIL you get into med school before quiting. Besides, who says you are going to get in? I'm not trying to be a party pooper, but don't count your chickens before they hatch. The med app process is a year long! If I read you posting correct, I'm not sure why you'd quit now, unless school is going to be too intensive or you realllllly hate your job.

On the topic of volunteerism, you shouldn't do things so that it'll look good on the application. In my opinion, I think it's disrespectful to the people who require volunteers in the first place if that's your only reason. I know there's a strong temptation to "pad" your resume, but personally, I wouldn't volunteer on the basis of my concern for the asthetics of my med application, evar. I think anything will look relatively well on an application when expressed in the right words. OMSAS may not give you much room to write descriptions, but I know UBC gives you at least 250 characters for description. Not bad at all.

U know, I think it's more rewarding and fulfilling to know that you did something voluntarily and it meant something to you on a more personal and emotional level. I hope you keep that in mind the next time you volunteer.

Kupo

PS, As an added bounus, if and when you have your med interview, you'll have an easier time explaining "why did you volunteer for X" if you knowingly volunteered because you cared, and the experience meant something to you other than med app asthetics.

You may not believe me, but I too can honestly say I didn't volunteer for anything to pad my resume. I volunteered for things that I looked forward to, and felt a lot of pride in pulling off. My volunteer work was actually my stress relief from a busy day.

Like most of the keen people on this board, I'm really busy. If you're not doing something you enjoy, I'm sure you can find a more creative way to spend your time. Doing otherwise just causes you stress and drains you.

Don't get me wrong, there are things in life you just have to grunt down and do - studying for the MCAT is one of them. But volunteering is something you have a choice in.

Guest Elliott

Thanks for the input - although my concerns aren't really around volunteering.

Thanks to those who helped answer my question (1 of the 2, anyway...)

E

Archived