Premed 101 Forums

How important is volunteering at a hospital

Guest tuncrypt

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

It depends on what you put into it and what you get out of it. If you've not spent much time in a hospital or other medical milieu, hospital volunteering might give you a better feel for how things operate, and a better idea of the job that a doctor does. That can also help you make the decision as to whether or not you'd like to become one. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Again, it probably depends on what you take from the experience and what you can convey, either through your essays/sketches, or within an interview. As to whether hospital volunteering is necessary to gain entry to a Canadian medical school, I don't believe that to be the case for most.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Not important at all. I did ZERO hospital volunteering and I got into all of the schools I wanted.

This mostly applies to the Ontario schools- it may not be the case at out-of-province schools.

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest aneliz

I second what T-max said... ZERO hospital volunteering and I got into everywhere I applied.

I did however, do plenty of volunteering in other places, some healthcare related.

Guest circusgirl

No, I don't think it's necessary at all. In fact, most of my friends who were accepted into medical school had not done an ounce of hospital volunteer work! I think, as Kirsteen noted, that it could POTENTIALLY give you an advantage in that you know how a hospital works, the role of a doctor, and how you could and would like to fit into the structure, but there are also tons of other experiences (volunteer or not) that could do this.

Remember, not all doctors work in hospitals, so theyr'e not expecting all applicants to either... plus, it really depends what your role would be- there are many volunteer jobs that involve filing charts or office work that really wouldn't expose you to what it would like to be a physician.

Guest noncestvrai

I think it's important, it shows commitment, but then there are other ways to show your interest to medicine. I learned a few things while I was volunteering, especially on the two types of people who volunteer. The seniors and the young pre-med-go-getter. Interesting to say the least.

noncestvrai

Guest snplow

No, I wouldn't say it is necessary. I don't think the interview board likes people who have Machievallian intentions anyways. Volunteer at a hospital if you want to, not for the sake of getting into med school.

Guest Future MSFer

I have a question regarding this subject. I volunteered in a Hospital this summer but I absolutely hated it. Not because of the work I do, but rather the work I don't do. All I do is stand around the nurse “desk/ counter area” doing nothing. Don't get me wrong, I ask if help is needed and if anyone (patients that is) needs to be fed and I walk around to check if any of the patients seem lonely and want someone to talk or if the pacients need anything. But they either have family over or they are sleeping. So I do nothing for two hours. My question is, how can I turn a bad situation into a good? I must have learned something, right???? But I don't feel I did. The only thing I can say about the situation is that despite I was board OUT OF MY MIND (and trust me I DID go around looking for things to do) I still want to be a doctor ( unlike me, those guys were busy, lol….oh poor, poor red eyed sleep deprived residences…some day that will be me…I can’t wait! I’m not being sarcastic.). Other than that, I wouldn’t know what to say in med interview or in an essay should a question regarding in hospital experience appear. A question like “what was your worst volunteer experience and what did you learn?" or even just “ did you volunteer in a hospital, and how did you like it?”…..so yea, that’s it. Ok bye.:\

Guest Lactic Folly

You learned that it is important for you to feel as though you are doing something meaningful and useful, that you wished you could have done more for those people.

I agree with Lactic Folly. I also strongly urge you to talk to the volunteer coordinator/director if you haven't already done so that they can know these things and improve the placement for the future. Even better, if you have suggestions on how to improve things, they may involve you in developing the program and that would be a great experience.

Archived