Premed 101 Forums

Need some help please

Guest student1599

Guest student1599

Hi there, I've got a couple of questions and hope you guys could give me some solid feedback.

First of all, I'm a U of T student about to complete my degree and still haven't taken any organic chemistry courses (so I'm planning on taking them in the summer at York instead of U of T, it's must less condensed at York in the summer). Will the adcoms care if I fullfill the orgo requirement at another school? Secondly, when I took first year bio (with lab), I ended up with a combined average of 63%, but my marks have gone significantly higher in the subsequent years (around 3.62). Will they weigh the pre-requisites (most of which I took during first and second year) as much as they weigh my courses in my final two years?

Lastly, I didn't take a full course load in my first and second years (I actually took 2.5 credits in the first year, and 3.5 in the second year due to an illness of mine). However, I successfully completed my last couple of years with a full course load and decent marks. How badly will my two first years hurt my application?

Many thanks in advance, hope you guys can help.

Guest Lactic Folly

It depends which schools you are considering.. each has their own weighting and formula for admission.. which schools are you looking at?

Guest patentforamenovale

Hi there, As much as this might surprise you, you dont need to do any orgo courses to be accepted into OMSAS schools. The only school (barring NOMS, which I have no information about) that has a distinct prerequisites list is Ottawa, where you have to take chemistry and orgo/biochem. I had biochem courses so I was interviewed (and subsequently accepted) there, without enduring a year of pointless orgo. However, it may be a neccessary evil since it is tested on the MCAT, but at a far more rudimentary level.

Guest blinknoodle

Well, for the applications this September, you will still need at least one 1/2 course in organic chem for UWO.. Sept 2006 is when you will need the honours degree.

For student1599, it sounds like UWO may be a great option for you since they only look at your two best full-time years. Those have to meet the grade and MCAT cut-offs. And if you get admission without taking organic chemistry, you can take it the summer before medical school.

See www.med.uwo.ca/Schulich/A...nceCourses

* One full or equivalent course in Organic Chemistry with a laboratory component

Or

Two half courses in Organic Chemistry, at least one of which shall have a laboratory component

Or

Two half courses, one in each of Organic Chemistry (with a laboratory component) and Biochemistry (with or without a lab component)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest student1599

Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply. Now, I haven't even considered applying outside of Ontario (I reside in Ontario) because the chances of getting in are so slim, am I correct? I also heard that for schools such as Dalhouse, they only have something like 5 spots for non-Nova Scotia students, is that true?

Thanks guys.

Archived