Premed 101 Forums

in need of advice =(

Guest red like blood

Guest red like blood

So my GPA has not been so great my first two yrs of university.. it was 3.42 in 1st yr and 3.57 in second yr (most of my marks are A's except for like one course I didn't do well in each yr).

My third year I have a 4.0 and I'm pretty sure I can get a 4.0 or close to it in 4th year

So my question is.. do you guys think I have a chance (if i get a good MCAT score) at med schools in Canada?

I'm debating whether to apply to the states b/c of the rolling admissions I would be at a disadvantage.

I know that western looks just looks at one yr in order to get an interview (and then 2 to get in).. but what about at other schools in Canada.. would I still have a good chance?

thanks very much for any input

Guest kaymcee

Hey, turn that frown upside-down! Assuming you took a full course load in both your first and second years, your GPA would be about 3.65, which isn't too bad. If you can get another year with about a 4.0 GPA, your GPA will be right in the middle of the pack among other pre-medical students. This will improve your GPA to above 3.7, putting you in good company.

There are schools that look at your best two years when considering your GPA. Some also forgive you for poor performance based on the number of years you have completed, and others weigh upper years more than lower years. I haven't committed all the nuances to memory (all the MCAT @#%$ is clogging up the brain at the moment), but they can all be found on the admissions websites for all the schools within Canada. I posted a list in a thread.

Guest UWOMED2005

You actually need TWO years for UWO, though one of those can be the not-yet-completed 4th year.

If you do well on the MCAT, you have a solid shot at Queen's and UWO. A number of my UWO classmates had a story similar to yours.

You may also have a chance at Mac and might qualify for other non-Ontario schools - check the most recent admissions stats.

Guest red like blood

thanks so much guys..

I know western would prolly be my best shot since they only look at 2 years...

I was actually worried about whether the 2nd yr above 3.7 they require can be the not yet completed 4th yr..so thank you for putting my mind at ease

also, do you guys think I would be at a disadvantage if I were to write the MCAT in August .. I know I wouldn't know my MCAT scores before applying.. but are there any other disadvantages apart from that?

I'm still considering applying to US schools.. but I would rather not

thanks..u guys are all very supportive here! =) (that's just for you kaymcee hehe)

Guest little endian

I wrote the MCAT in august the year I applied and I wasn't at a disadvantage other than I could have wasted a lot of money if I didnt make any of the cutoffs because I'd already paid for my applications. But now I'm going to Queen's so it worked for me!

Guest UWOMED2005

Applying the same year that you apply is that you'll make the cutoffs. If not, you can't get a refund on the application fees. . .

But EVERY TIME you apply to medical school it is a gamble. If you don't get in for a reason other than the MCAT you can't get the $$ back.

And if you DON'T apply you'll never know if you may have been accepted. . .

PS - I'm basing this advice on the situation when I applied back in 2000 - I think things have changed a bit - there maybe a chance you can now access MCAT scores online before med school application deadlines. . .

Hi,

UWOMED2005 is correct. The year that I wrote the MCAT (2003), you could get your scores online days before the OMSAS application was due....but this lead to major delays submitting things to OMSAS and the system crashed because everyone waited to submit their app until they knew their scores. So now, they changed it again and your OMSAS application is due a week or two before scores come out I think.

Guest red like blood

oh wait.. sorry for asking again.. but if ur application is due a few days before socres come out..won't thatmean that my application will be late? so will they accept it or just look at it later or what?

thanks

Guest red like blood

oh I just read someone elses post and they said that the scores would be released in time for the med schools to view them..

thanks again guys

Archived