Premed 101 Forums

research..

Guest wab8611

Guest wab8611

since im attending uoft.. i was wondering if the 299Y1 courses would cover the reasearch part of med school applications. yes, i understand you dont have to do research for medschool, but its for a field im interested in, and either way i would be applying for it.

wab8611

Guest s sadry

i completed a 299-- i would assume it counts as research.

also, it may open up the doors to summer jobs, or continued research, and a good long term relationship with a supervisor.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Depending on the supervisor, the 299Y courses are a great way to get some research experience, and if you and the preceptor are avid, potentially get your name on a publication. There are some big researchers at UofT who open their labs up to 299Y students, so it can be a great foot in the door if you can snag a spot in the lab, both, from a future career perspective, i.e., gaining exposure to research as a potential career path, and also, actually gaining some research experience for other purposes. Beware though: some of the researchers don't like to hear that an applicant has medical school aspirations. I managed to snag a spot in a 299Y course a while ago and the preceptor (one of UofT's more high-profile researchers) mentioned, post-application, that she'd chosen my application out of around 30 or so, because mine was the only one that mentioned an interest in research itself, as opposed to simply wishing it for experience to get into medical school.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived