Premed 101 Forums

Honestly, what are my chances?

Guest je83

I currently go to University of Toronto, major in Life Science and minor in Psychology and Physiology.

My CGPA is about 3.4~3.5... I think it may improve to 3.6 if I'm really really lucky, by the time I graduate. Although I 've been in school for 4 years, I'm staying one more year to take English and Org.Chem since they are requried for many med.schools. I'm not sure if staying in school for 5 years affects my chances.

For non-academical factors, I'm doing a research with a professor and volunteering at a hospital. I've only been doing these for 2 months now. I was a VP for a small,ethnic based student association but am not involved with any other more recognizable student groups like Pre-med society or CFS. I'm not even a member. I did do some volunteer work but not in Canada so I'm not sure if I can get a certification. Not sure if I even need one. That's about all.

I can't say I'm confident or outgoing, more of a shy,quiet girl.

And I don't really know any professors so don't think I can ask for a good reference letter.

Do I sound like I have any chance getting into a decent medical school in the US or Canada? Could you drop some names of schools that I qualify for?

Which US schools accept Canadian citizens anyways? I'm having hard time finding those.

Look forward to any opinion or responses. Thanks in advance.

Guest scrubbed

Hey je83, based on what you've written, you may find it difficult gaining entry to medical schools in Canada.

Your present GPA, if improved to 3.6, is borderline, if not below, the minimum requirements for

Queen's: 3.66 GPA (3.5 credits), best two completed years at time of application.

32 MCAT

UWO: 3.7 GPA (full course load), at least one year above at the time of application, with another required during present application year.

30 MCAT

U of T: 3.6 GPA (if full course load taken each year, a weighting formula would apply)

GPA worth 60% of application

27 MCAT

Mac: 3.0 GPA

GPA worth 50% of application.

No MCAT

NOSM: 3.0 GPA

The average weighed GPA of applicants invited to interview was 3.6.

No MCAT

Favors applicants with northern experience.

Ottawa: Requires a high GPA, > 3.8. for non-Ottawa residents. Not sure on minimums.

No MCAT.

Many, if not all, non-Ontario schools have regional requirements, which strongly favor in-province applicants, so out-of-province applicants who do obtain interviews and acceptances tend to have high GPAs and MCATs as well as highly assessed personal qualities.

Depending on the school, allopathic medical schools in the US have high GPA and MCAT standards as well, which may be higher for international applicants.

Other options include osteopathic (DO) in the US, Caribbean medical schools, and those in Ireland, among other places.

I do think that it's great that you are working with a professor and I imagine that there are people in your life from your various activities that could write you a reference letter. As for other personal qualities, at the end of the day, I think that's something that only you can decide.

I wish you the best with your upcoming school year. Gaining acceptance to medical school is a difficult process, with the number of qualified applicants exceesing the number of positions. I hope that this information assists you with your decision making process.

Archived