Premed 101 Forums

How early did you decide to go for med?

Guest 4shattered4

Guest 4shattered4

I'm just curious since I know a lot of people who are planning away when they're only in Grade 9 or Grade 10. I didn't even know what subject area I wanted to do back then. I think I only decided to think about it more about the beginning of this year or end of Grade 12. What about you guys?

It wasn't until OAC that I was "set" on it and really started to work for it. Before then it was something I was conscious of, but I was also interested in going into banking, law, and commercial aviation. :D

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I didn't seriously start thinking about/going for med until halfway through my third year of undergrad. Seems to have worked for me!

Best of luck!

Timmy

I'm one of those kids who decided in Gr. 7. (i.e. in 1994 when ER started) :) I had wanted to be a lawyer, orthodontist, news anchor, and coroner before that though and I seriously reevaluated whether medicine was what I wanted to do during undergrad.

Guest marbledust

I didn't decide until after I was done an undergrad degree that was as far away from science and medicine as possible. Then I started dating a medical student and he brought me over to "the dark side" of science :)

My earliest career aspiration was to be a cashier at the grocery store so I could eat the chocolate bars and candy beside the till. That is starting to sound like a good career choice again as clerkship drags on:lol

I used to work as a cashier and it was my fave job to date! We didn't eat candy off the racks that often, but we did love to get a ben and jerry's tub of ice cream and cut it horizontally through the middle and share it. :)

Guest Jerika81

My parents actually have one of those books that you update each year of your child's life with picture, height, weight, any great accomplishments that year, etc. And of course what they want to be when they grow up.

This seems unbelievable to me now, but I actually filled in P.D.Otrishion when I was 9 years old and this remained my career of choice until about gr.11 (I think I figured out the spelling around gr.7). Then I went through a teen angst phase where I didn't want to choose a career my parents would approve of...but after thinking about a number of career options, I realized between the summer of 2nd and 3rd year of undergrad that medicine had to be it. Even once I started med I was trying to keep my mind open to different things, but the truth is, other things are interesting, but nothing else compares to Pediatrics.

The moral of my story: You know yourself better when you're 9 than when you're 17:b

Guest Braveheart

I decided after 2nd year of undergrad... kind of a late bloomer considering the fact that some other people knew what they wanted to do straight out of the nut sack... man, back in those days, I was still playing with Transformers.

Guest noncestvrai

Well, I wanted to be an archeologist/paleontologist. I loved dinosaures, at around 5 yo. I also loved the Indiana Jones movies...After, I was really into computers, that was the time I was learning to program on BASIC and Logo (remember the mouse?). Following that, I was really into science, then half-way through undergrad, I saw my marks (:\ ) and said hard work will be needed to get into med...after work and grad school I am probably going to be a doctor, but I am secretly working on being a rock star...

noncestvrai

P.S. Come to think of it, I was good at playing doctor when I was a kid, was that a sign?

Guest Isoceles

As a kid my ambitions were always to be a writer and a veterinarian... after starting undergrad in pre-vet, getting disillusioned and switching to English, and thinking about chucking it all to go back to the farm, I finally had an epiphany in the summer between 2nd and 3rd year. I decided I DID want medicine...but it was working with people, not animals like I had planned from the age of 5, that would make me happy. It's been 3 years since then and through the whole brutal hoop-jumping process it has always felt right. I stayed in my English program too... so it will be "writer" and doctor - my childhood ambitions weren't far off... it just took me awhile to figure things out! :)

Guest 4shattered4

Thanks for the replies everyone =) Well, interesting to see a lot of contrasts. Most people here though seem to have decided around university-ish or a bit before. I remember that my family doctor said he decided when he was 2 years old :eek , but that sure doesn't beat "straight out of the nut sack" :P

Guest nicoleL

I'm with "nut sac".

My dad is a family doc and I used to follow him everywhere when I was really young (3-7), his office, the hospital, the hospice, you name it. I loved talking with his patients and they seamed to get a real kick out of me, especially the old people at the hospice. The nurses really liked having me around too, I've actually stayed in touch with a few of them.

Then as a got older a realised how much my dad's career took out of the rest of his life. He had a pretty bad spell, the failure of his marriage, estrangement with a few of my siblings and through it all he still worked tirelessly for his patients. He really is an amazing doctor, but at what cost?

I decided that I wanted to be anything else. Journalism, teaching, dentistry, and physio where at the top of my list for a while. I just kept coming back to medicine though. In grade 12 I had an epiphany and I decided to go for it. I realised that the key was finding my own balance between work and life and working hard to maintain that balance. And I definitely wouldn't be happy if I never tried. So here I am, starting school in the fall...

Archived