Premed 101 Forums

Online Courses

Guest westernboi

Guest westernboi

Does anyone know if # of correspondence courses including online and printbase courses taken, is considered as a factor in the medical school admission process?

It may sound ridiculous, but I think the course format sort of reflects the applicant's qualities, such as anti-social/procrastinative tendencies. - -a

Guest marbledust
It may sound ridiculous, but I think the course format sort of reflects the applicant's qualities, such as anti-social/procrastinative tendencies. - -a

Hmmm...don't know if this is an honest observation or an attempt to stir up a wee bit of trouble on the board....

I've been involved with online courses both as a student and instructor. It is true a very small percentage of students assume it is an easy way to do a course. But in my experience it is actually more difficult than a traditional course. The onus is on you to get things done--there are no classmates or instructor around to help keep you on top of things.

For the majority of students--at least in my experience as a teacher--they enroll in a web course because a traditional course won't work for them for whatever reason (work, family, or other committments, a desire to get a course done quickly). Procrastination and a desire for lack of social contact (which is not the correct use of "anti-social" BTW) is not the reason people enroll in these courses; but it is unfortunately the end result--the lack of social contract with others in the course breds procrastination and the course never gets done.

I almost suspect this comment is coming from our old friend cod :\

Archived