Premed 101 Forums

Shadowing and Privacy Issues

Guest 4shattered4

Guest 4shattered4

Hi, I just had a question regarding shadowing. I can't seem to find it using search so sorry if this is redundant. If it's already been answered, I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me to a relevant thread.

I was just wondering how shadowing exactly works. Wouldn't it be uncomfortable for the patients if you just sit in your family doctor's office while he's seeing them? I mean, I certainly wouldn't like it if this occured during my appointment. Or would you shadow hospital doctors? But regardless, wouldn't the privacy issue come into play? Thanks for any advice!

Guest doctorinthehouse

Are you talking about shadowing as an undergrad or as a med student?

I know that when I was asking around about shadowing as an undergrad, basically everyone said that they will only let med students shadow (that is of course unless you have an in somehow). As a med student, there is no problem, and I don't think patients mind as they understand it's part of the education.

Guest cause2003

You don't have to be a med student to shadow, and in my mind it makes sense to shadow before you go to med school (if you can)so that you can be sure that meds is what you want to do with your life. I shadowed as an undergrad student and none of the patient's I saw had a problem with my presence. There were a few times when the doc said she would need some privacy with her patient. If you know a doctor just ask them if you can watch them work. The one I shadowed wasn't a family friend, just an acquaintance.

I also shadowed a surgeon as a grad student. They worked I'm the same department and I just asked, and they said ok. There were so many people in the operating room that I don’t think the patient made notice of my presence.

Later,

-cause

Guest btrots

I`ve heard that there are new regulations in place now that make it difficult for non-med students to shadow. I tried through a couple contacts a year ago, and they seemed really reluctant (both a BC surgeon and an AB fam doc, and both fathers of really good friends of mine). They did offer to let me come in and see their practice, answer questions, let me hang out for the afternoon etc...just a no go on being in the exam room w/patients.

Guest clinicalchief

It totally depends on the setting and the physician.

There are generally no opportunities for non-medical students to shadow in large centres and teaching hospitals (note I said GENERALLY).

You'll probably have the best shot at an independant family doc's office, especially in rural communities. I shadowed a GP for a couple of days when I was in undergrad, and was present during all patient interviews and exams.

cc

Guest satsumargirl

1) Patients have the same right to privacy whether in-patients or out-patients. (e.g as hospital staff I am not supposed to go through pt charts who aren't under my care...hard to monitor with paper charts of course but there is monitoring in place for electronic pt records)

2) I think the opportunities for non-med students may be limited more due to resources than privacy issues

3) You would (the person in charge would/should) ask the pt permission to have a student be present - so the pt has to consent

4) I imagine you would sign a confidentiality agreement. At my hospital all staff sign them when we are hired. And after the whole PIPEDA thing there is even an online quiz we do that gets kept with human resources.

5) I think even my volunteers sign confidentiality agreements through volunteer services

All that being said, I have had students shadow me at the hospital and not had them sign anything....but did review confidentiality with them. Reason why no paper work was b/c the hospital didn't have a formal protocol for shadowing. They did for students on placement and volunteers, so those wanting to shadow just slipped through the cracks!

I have also shadowed physicians and not signed anything, but I knew them before I shadowed so this may have made things easier for me.

So I don't think privacy legislation will prevent you from gaining shadowing experience. You just have to find someone to shadow.

I believe it is even possible to set up "formal" shadowing placements. I vaguely remember posters for some kind of program like that when I was in undergrad. Maybe check with your school's career counsellor/services. Could be helpful if you do not have personal contacts.

Guest 4shattered4

Thanks for the advice!;) I don't know my family doctor that well and somehow I get the vibe that he probably won't agree. I don't know any other family doctors well enough either, but I guess I can always ask later on if I really want to shadow. I'll look into it and see if there's any programs at my school. I was just curious about the issue since I've noticed a lot of people talking about their shadowing experience, but I guess connections comes to play in everything.

Guest endingsoon

Yeah its a bit hard as a non medical student b.c there is really no incentive for the staff to take you on:

a) pts would be more reluctant b.c you have about as much training as them

B) the staff guy can't really send you to do anything that might help him (ie - Hx/Pex, look up labs, etc.)

c) the staff can't really teach you anything, b.c you don't know anything

and as an aside:

d) its hard enough introudcing yourself as a medical student, I cannot imagine saying 'hopeful' medical student to any degree of success.

It is probably best done in the rural community where people don't really see residents/med students so that you might get lucky and they don't see you as anything else but a doctor in training. In the larger cities however, it is probably more difficult.

Archived