Premed 101 Forums

Whadd'yall think?

Guest SherriONT

Guest SherriONT

Hi!! Could any of you seasoned med school applicants/students please let me know whether you think that a 3.55 cGPA and a 3.64 WGPA (Combined Honours in International Development Studies and Spanish Studies) is too low for med schools in Ontario these days? I have lots of relevant experience (travel, volunteering abroad and in Canada, research, etc) and seem to do well in interviews, but I'm nervous that my GPA's just won't cut it...(Hee hee hee... I know everyone loves these kinds of posts...You know, the kind where insecure premed hopefulls list their credentials in search of some comfort...) Thanks for your help!

Guest doctorinthehouse

I think it would depend on where you are and where you are applying. The wgpa cutoff for ottawa residents is 3.6.

Guest SherriONT

Thanks for your response!

I'm a Toronto resident and will be applying this year to Mac and Ottawa. I hope to write the MCATs next summer and will subsequently apply to Western and Queens as well in 2006. I have the opportunity next year to raise my wGPA to about a 3.7 at best, so I'm wondering if it's even worth it to apply at all??

Guest SherriONT

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there were applicants accepted for 2005 with a relatively low GPA? What's the lowest you've heard?

Guest rubberoduck

it depends on the school i think. i've read stories about ppl getting into UofT with a GPA as low as a 2.8. apparently it was an olympic skater who had to train very hard for competition and hence could not focus on school. She appealed to the board after her 4th or 5th rejection (I forget) because apparently her application wasn't even looked at with that kind of GPA. So by appealing she got the board to look at her application and her amazing achievements in figure skating and got in that year.

It's an inspiring story, but it tells you that if you have a bottom-line GPA, you have to be an olympic champion to get in.

So if you want to be realistic, I'd say the lowest GPA that could possibly not get one rejected is the one posted by the university as THE LOWEST ACCEPTABLE GPA. for uoft that's 3.6 the last time i checked.

Archived