Premed 101 Forums

Hi guys, just want to see how my GPA fairs

Guest Guyver03

Guest Guyver03

Just by stroke of luck, I was able to find this forum on Google, there are lots of info here that's going to take me some time to digest, after the Nov DAT of course.

Anyway, I'm currently studying at SFU, my GPA in all my years is at 3.50, which I think is in the lower end of the spectrum. I'm going to apply to UBC, UT, UMan, McGill and Dal. What do you guys think of my chances.

Also, I'm using the 3 PAT forms from UBC bookstore to practice for the PAT section, do you guys think they are similar to the real DAT? or the real thing is actually harder? Any input is appreciated. Back to studying for DAT.:(

Guest predent2003

Hi Guyver03,

Don't worry too much about the GPA. I mean GPA isn't the only thing because UBC looks at percentage, so a 85 is 4.0 and 100% is also 4.0. You'll just have to let the school decide how they want to look at it.

You never know your chance until you send in your application! 3.5 is not bad at all IMO.

I checked out the UBC bookstore before and I found some of the stuffs are pretty useless because they are a little outdated, but I don't know exactly which 3 you got. In general, I think the real DAT is easier than I thought. Not that I got a very good mark, it's just that it wasn't as hard as I thought.

Guest Guyver03

Thanks predent 2003, that calms my nerves a bit, esp after reading some of marks of people posted on here (you know who you are, you keeners :lol )

The PAT forms that I got are all from IQ publishing, they are each 90 questions, so basically cover the PAT section. If anyone used these PAT forms before and have taken the DAT, can you please let me know if the real thing is harder than these forms? Thanks a bunch

Guest bcdentalgirl

I used those exact same books and they were idential to the PAT ( I took it in Feb '02). I also returned them for a full refund when I was done. just a thought.

by the way, my GPA was 3.33 and I got in. A little statistics for you: although the average for our class was about 83%, the RANGE is pretty wide. My GPA is not the lowest, or even the second lowest. Focus on your carving and PAT. Good Luck!

Guest Guyver03

Hey thanks bcdentalgirl. Now I gotta concentrate more on those pesky PAT forms. BTW, I just photocopied them and return them back the same day, cause I'm a cheapie. :D

Guest toothy jr

bcdentalgirl posted her score in another thread, and I'd like to add her carving skills are enough to make my eyes pop out :eek heh.

I wrote the DAT 3 times for the sole purpose of improving carving, and I got 14-10-16 in that order. Despite this, hand skills is not the biggest problem I face in clinic now...

Guest YYCdentboi

What is the biggest problem you face in clinic, toothy? Are you at UBC? May I ask how many times you applied and what your GPA was? I'm a 3.5er; PAT 20; Carving 22; Academic 20; Reading 20...I think I am too "average" don't you think?

Guest LestatZinnie

dont worry too much about your avg/dat since they're pretty much set in stone. score well in your interview and reference letters to distinguish yourself.

Archived