Premed 101 Forums

Give me a hand!

Guest championqh

Guest championqh

Hi there.

I'd like to ask for some suggestions here. I'm thinking about apply for dental schools in Canada for a while. But my case may be special. I'm currently an International student in Canada. I did my bachelor in China and my GPA was 87/100(3.7??). Now I'm a M.Sc candidate in Kinesiology and I will graduate in half year.

I'd like to try to apply dental school after my graduation. But I need to take the prerequisite classes for dental school(my undergrad was in Engineering) and DAT. I know it's a long way for me.But that won't be a problem.

What I'm wondering is the GPA. Will the dental school count my GPA in China or just the GPA for the prerequisite classes and my Msc?? Have you heard any case like mine? Is there any disadvantage of getting your bachelor in other country?And what chance of my getting in dental school by your experience if I get fair GPA and DAT score? BTW, I will apply for permanent residence in Canada soon.

Now, I'm really confused about my this 'crazy' thought. Should I give it up? Try something else after my graduation, like Ph.D, or working....? They are probably easy for me. I'd like to have hear all suggestions from you. Never mind, just speak your word out there. Your words may be valuable for me.

Thanks a lot for your patient of reading through it and answer my questions. If anyone has same situation with mine, you can email to me champion_qh@yahoo.com Thanks!

Guest toothy jr

hi,

there certainly are people in dental school who received

degrees in other countries. However as far as I know

they usually apply as international students, and depending

on the school compete in a separate pool of applicants.

I doubt the MSc and prereq courses alone will qualify you

as a local applicant (even if you have canadian citizenship).

A few international students are accepted to each school

every year, but as you know the tuition itself is at least

$30000 which could be a major concern.

Hope that helps

Toothy (re-registered)

Archived