Premed 101 Forums

for how long has UBC had the mandatory rural BC elective?

Guest kirin

Hi.

I am wondering if any of you know how long UBC has had the mandatory rural BC elective?

Is this unique to UBC?

What strategies are the other schools using to recruit doctors for rural areas?

Thanks, kirin

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there kirin,

This initiative has been in place at UBC for at least a couple of years. Also, from the descriptions that I've heard, Western has a similar program, albeit, in Ontario.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

Kirin,

I think it is an 8 week elective. I know that many student really enjoyed themselves and in the more isolated communities did things they would not normally be involved in. Had coffee with NRmorgan last night - found out who you were. Hope all goes well this time - are you going to the Friday night meeting?

soapy

thanks for the input.

I plan to go to the friday night info session. I hope to see you gals here.

soapy, you remember me?!? I remember your kids, who must be big now and cute stories you used to tell us about them.

kirin

Guest Ian Wong

The rural elective rocked. It was by far the best rotation in medical school, and I include all of my third and fourth year rotations in that comparison. It's your first real taste of clinical independence after the initial two years of medical school, and because you are there without any other medical students or residents, you have a great deal of autonomy in what you see and do.

It's a fantastic learning experience, and is definitely one of the highlights of our program.

Ian

Archived