Premed 101 Forums

Confused with requirements.... :S help

Guest red devil 85

Guest red devil 85

Hi everyone.

So I'm a little lost, like many, with trying to figure out if I meet the GPA requirement.

I see on the FAQ that that OOP requiremtn is 3.7/4.3, but it then also says on this board, and later on in that FAQ that applicants are converted to a 4.0 scale for admission. If that is the case, why are the application cut-offs posted in the 4.3 scale? or is that a typo. And if it isn't , what is a 3.7/4.3 on the 4.0 scale.

I go to queens, where we use percents, and i was wondering if anyone who has applied has a definate awnser on this. I have seen many conflicting "GPA scales" etc... and was hoping someone had a recent, and correct one.

Obviously I would love to know if I meet the requirements , before i deceide to apply

Thanks for all your help :D

Guest JewelLeigh

The 3.7/4.3 is not a typo. Dalhousie grades on a 4.3 scale, so that is why they state the cut-off in this way. However since all schools mark differently, they convert all applicants to a 4.0 scale in order to compare them. The scale for conversion that is used is the same used by OMSAS:

www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/pdf/c_omsas_b.pdf

Thus, if you want to figure out if you definitely meet the cut-off, you need to do 2 things:

1) use the above link to convert your queen's grades to a 4.0 scale.

2) use the above link to convert the cut-off (3.7) from a Dalhousie 4.3 scale to a 4.0

I am not sure what the exact numbers work out to be, but at Dalhousie on the 4.3 scale, a 3.7 is 80-84%. So, if you would rather not do all the work of converting, I would use that as a guide (ie. 80+ avg = OOP cut-off met).

Hope that helps. Much luck :)

JL

<><

Guest red devil 85

thanks for the reply....and I understand what you are saying, but there is an inherent flaw in the fact that you can't just convert a 3.7/4.3 scale to the equivalent on a 4.0

for example, 3.7/4.3 is about between 80-84 %. The equivalent OMSAS gpa is also 3.7/4.0. I can give my personal example, but i know many other ppl are in similar situations.I have an average in one of my years of 83%, yet my OMSAS GPA is 3.5/4.0 where as my "dal" GPA (which i worked out using a gpa chart someone posted in a past post) is a 3.74/4.3

Maybe I should have clarified this originally, but that puts me in a awkward situation because i know you need 2 consecutive years of a 3.7, and one of my years is well over the 3.7 requirment (3.9) however my other year (listed above) is rather borderline and I would like to know if i would even have a chance, since it is a waste of money and time to apply if i don't even meet the initial requirements.

I know, ppl will say contact dal, but I have tried , and maybe because they are busy with current apps, or are confused over the phone, I can't seem to get a clear and concise anwser.

thanks again

Guest JewelLeigh

I definitely understand the conundrum...a 3.7 gpa can be composed of a variety of combinations of course grades, so it's hard to convert directly. Unfortunately though, no one on here is going to be able to give you a more accurate answer. I personally believe that you will meet the cut-offs. If your actual average from that year is 83%, then you are likely above the 3.7 or A- requirement, so I'd say go for it :)

However, if you want to be 100% sure that you qualify, (which is understandable), instead of calling the admissions office and asking randomly, you should call and arrange a meeting with Sharon Graham, the director of admissions. She frequently has meetings with potential applicants to discuss concerns such as yours. If you are not in Halifax, schedule a phone meeting. The current admissions cycle is just wrapping up, so you may wish to wait a few weeks.

Take care!

JL

<><

Archived