Premed 101 Forums

Exchange during third undergrad year!

Guest karl86

Hello; I'm going on an exchange next year, which will be my third of four years in undergrad, and I'm a maritime rez.

The exchange is to England, and my university will not use the grades I get there to calculate my CGPA, but I will get credit.

The big question is, does Dalhousie Med School count the exchange year in the CGPA, (since it is one of the last 2 years), or will they, for example, use my 2nd and 4th year, and ignore the foreign grades? (I have had a full course load the whole way through).

A thousand thankyous to anyone who can help me out!

Karl

Guest scooter

Hey, I did my 3rd (of 5 years) abroad. Make sure when you are there to get a letter saying something about how the marking system works and maybe a breakdown of how grades normally fall. In France the bulk of people get 50% and 60% or higher is considered very good. I didn't do that but my Canadian Uni did write a letter to that affect that I include in my applications (ALSO make sure you know how to get your transcripts easily sent!!! you would be surprised by how many of my friends and I have spent months trying to get the school to send them!!)

If Dal tells you what they are going to do let me know- I tried to discuss it with them (for 4 months!!) but they never had time to set up a phone call and wouldn't discuss it over e-mail.

Guest JewelLeigh

The World Education Service is a route you should seriously consider taking. This service (www.wes.org/ca/) takes transcripts from the school you studied at abroad, and translates them into their Canadian equivalents. It will then send them directly to medical schools to which you are applying.

In fact, for Ontario medical schools, the use of this service is required for applicants who have completed a year abroad. It is expensive, but is a much easier way of transferring grades than attempting to explain to the med school how a country does their grading. (Britain also marks much hard, with a 65-69 being an A- for example.)

I sent transcripts from both the university abroad and the "translation" from WES to all the schools I applied to, including Dal, didn't come across any problems.

Be sure, however, that schools you plan on applying to will consider this. I, like Scooter, did my 3rd of 5 university years abroad, so I still had 4 fulltime years of Canadian undergrad (3 at the time of application) to back me up. Not sure if this would change if someone was doing their 3rd year of 4 abroad.

Unfortunately, I don't know the answer to your original question. As already mentioned, this would be best answered by contacting admissions directly.

Guest karl86

Hi,

Thanks for your responses, this is good to know. I got an email from a Dal Admissions Officer, saying that occasionaly, yes they DO just count 2nd and 4th year grades when a third year on exchange with an incompatible grading system has taken place.

However, it seems to me that the World Education Service is the way to go. (We have a ton of grade inflation here, compared to Europe, apparently). If Ontario demands it, I'm sure Dal would accept the grades as accurate.

KT

• 2 weeks later...

WES is terrible.

I sent them half of my transcript, and they sent back the conversion to equal one year of Canadian school. I then sent them the second half, and they put the two halfs together to equal one year of Canadian school - ie., they made up the weighting for the number of credits.

Also, say a 10/20, in French grades... this converts to a D in Canadian standards (according to WES). But that is neglecting the fact that a 10/20 is about the AVERAGE grade for a French student... musch like a "B" is in Canada. So in theory it should be a B...

anyway, I can't answer your question... but I am in the same boat.

Please let me know whatever you find out!

On the other hand, if you have only completed three years of schooling so far, NOSM requires you get WES to convert your marks. McMaster does not, they ignore the year.

Guest JewelLeigh

It must be a change in policy at McMaster since 2 years ago when I applied, a WES transcript for years abroad was a clear requirement.

While Dal does not require it, I do know that it would be appreciated by the admissions folks.

I used it, and got in, so take that as you will.

Guest scooter

Hey, I didn't do WES since I have 4 years of study at the U of Ottawa. For my MUN and DAL applications, Ottawa U wrote me a letter detailing that my 12.5/20 was infact good and explained a bit about the French System. HOWEVER, I didn't do this last year and got the cold shoulder from both. I couldn:t talk to Dal (after trying for 3 months!!) but MUN said they would consider it and said I should definately include it.

I have a personal question . Does Dal count your last 2 years if you are applying with 5 years completed?? It isn't all that clear.

On that note, some Ontario Schools, like Ottawa say you don:t need it if you have 3years completed at a Canadian school- but then said my file was incomplete!! So with Ontario I would recommend WES and a note from your foreign school and /or Canadian school as well.

Guest JewelLeigh

Dal counts the last two years.

The only situation in which the best 3 years is used, is to help an applicant meet the cut-offs when their last two years won't help them.

So...eg (on 4.3 scale):

year 1: 3.5

year 2: 3.6

year 3: 3.1

year 4: 3.7

Year 3 doesn't meet the cut-off, but the other 3 do, so the applicant will be considered an eligible maritimer. The gpa that the committee will consider is the avg of the last two years: for the above example 3.4 (avg of 3.1 and 3.7). This would not change for someone with a 5 year degree...though of course, such an applicant could technically be eligible, even if neither of their last two years were above 3.3.

Hope that clears it up Scooter.

Guest scooter

Hey,

Thanks for clearing that up, it is a definate weight off my shoulders as my last two years rocked :rollin (well by my standards, an A- is not enough to get me into the "obviously acceptable" but it doesn't get me into the "obviously unacceptable" group either:) . My third year was abroad so it doesn't look as good (12.5/20 on the French scale).

Best of luck to everyone

oh.. I'm OOP... can you help me find out if I'm eligible?

Year 1 - 3.7 and change

Year 2 - 3.6 and change

Year 3 - ON EXCHANGE... perhaps also about 12.5/20

Year 4 - 3.8 ish (Here's hoping)

so for OOP, the cut off is 3.7, which I clearly don't make in my last two years. But I make in in year one and four... Is this OK? Or would I have had to make it in one other year too?

Guest JewelLeigh

Are those on a 4.0 scale? Dal's cut off is 3.7 on a 4.3 scale, so if the ones you gave me are on a 4.0 scale, then you are good to go regardless of how your exchange year is considered :)

If you've already converted to the 4.3 scale, then I'm not 100% sure what will happen with your file...you'd probably have to discuss your unique case directly with someone at admissions.

Hope that helps :)

JL

<><

Archived