Premed 101 Forums

Dalhousie Interview Emails

Guest DancingDoc

Guest DancingDoc

Hey,

Just thought I'd let everyone know that Dal has started sending out emails for at least their in-province applicants! So good luck to everyone, start marking your calendar for interviews ;)

me too! Feb 3rd...can't wait! Does anyone have any suggestions on the best resource for preparation? (i.e. a book resource aside from just the usual expected stuff as keeping current with news, healthcare etc??)

fizio

Guest debbieL22

Yay! I'm scheduled for the 3rd as well (I'm so excited, in a scared kind of way lol).

Fizio, I've heard that a good resource to check out would be a medical ethics book - not sure if somebody could recommend a good one? Also, like most, I've been watching the political debates and reading the newspapers, particularly regarding privatization and healthcare policy issues. And finally, from what I've gathered from others, a good way to prepare is just to really sit and think about your goals in medicine, really understanding your own career and personal goals. (For example, what field you may want to specialize in, your reasons for pursuing medicine, practical issues surrounding the years of hard work and sacrifices that may need to be made, etc). Hope that helps a bit, good luck! :)

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey Guys

The interviews are relaxed, don't sweat too much. Wear something that you feel comfortable in (don't overdress) and feel confident in.

The dal interviewers are going to want to hear about YOU! Your extracurricular activities are a usual topic as well as a questions surrounding you and self-directed learning/working as a team in tutorial.

Sometimes there is an ethical question, but the point isn't to get it "right" its to answer the question in a way that shows you can consider both sides of an argument and come to a reasonable conclusion.

Im SURE that privatization will be a hot topic of discussion.

Hope that helps! Congrats on the interviews!

CC

Guest geekpunk

Caesar,

Thanks for that info! I don't know where I'd be without this site!

For guys, I'm assuming a suit w/shirt+ tie is the usual attire, right? Along with the coat as well? Sorry, it'll be my first interview and I want to make sure I get everything right. :P

Hi guys...I didn't get an interview e-mail even though I am a maritime resident AND I meet the cutoffs. I was hoping that the e-mail was just slow and it would arrive today...but no such luck so far. I'm going to e-mail the office Sunday night and hopefully it was just a mistake. There is no other reason why I wouldn't be granted an interview right? I meet ALL of their criteria and I am 100% sure of that.

Anyways, I know there's nothing that I can do now except wait. I was just wondering if there was anyone else in my position? Thanks for reading :)

Madz

Guest McMaster Health

Hey Madz,

Did you get the test email a couple weeks ago (the one they sent to test the accuracy of the email address)?

Did you get email confirming that supporting documents with your application have been received by the office?

Did you check your Junk Mail folder (maybe it made its way there)?

Hi McMaster Health, the answer is yes to all your questions. Nothing in inbox, nothing in junk mail...

I guess I'll just e-mail them and hopefully for some weird reason I didn't receive an e-mail.

Madz

Guest geekpunk

Madz25,

According to the following site, interview notifications to Maritime applicants are still being sent out. It says from Dec 16th-20th . I wouldn't worry just yet. If you don't hear by Dec 20th, then call them. But call them soon, because it also says that the admissions & student affairs office will be closed for the holidays from Dec 23-Jan03 .

Check it out: admissions.medicine.dal.ca/timeline.htm

Guest McMaster Health

According to the main page of the website, it says that "Email notifications regarding interview dates and times for the Maritime applicants were distributed as of December 16th, 2005. You must confirm your interview via email."

That's why Madz got worried.

In any case, I am sure everything will be fixed by a simple phone call. Good luck.

Yup, exactly McMaster Health.

It just seems like everything is going wrong this year. Dalhousie lost all my supplemental pages even though I had sent them by Purolator AND someone had signed for them. It was an easily fixed problem but still. And now this!

Oh well, thanks for the support! Hopefully everything will be sorted out easily enough. :)

Madz

Guest DancingDoc

Hey Madz,

I would not worry about it, if you meet the requirements and they have your application it should be fine. They do make mistakes (i.e. lost your supplemental sheets). They sent me an email saying they lost mine too only for me to call up and ask about it (because I had handed them in not mailed them) and they were in my file. So they probably just made a mistake. Good luck, I'm sure you'll have your interview date soon!!! :)

Congrats to all of you. I was in panic mode as well. They had mis-filed my transcripts under my maiden name, even though it is on the application and I sent an email in Sept and October to ensure that my maiden name would be matched with my married name, and it still happened! It also happened last year. This was, however, due to the registrar's office not the admissions side of things. I did however, let the admissions know that this happened twice to see if they can give some suggestions to the registrar's office. I had also done priority post with signature on delivery! The registrar told me on Dec 9th that they "just received my transcripts and that was why the admissions had my file as incomplete", however when I told them that my transcripts were sent priority/express in Sept. they could not offer a reason, just that the person I was speaking with did not work on my application and that person was not there who did work on it, so they could not give me a reason. It was later that day that I did get the notice from admissions via email that my application was complete. So it did work out in the end, it's just too bad that we as applicants obsess over these things, & end up with 10 hours of complete panic that could have been avoided on the front end! But it's happy times now! Well all, good luck with the prep and Merry Christmas!

Fizio

Archived