Premed 101 Forums

residency question

Guest kaysee

I am wondering if I will be considered a maritime student, as I just recently read that they changed the criteria last year. I did move to the maritimes to attend university however I was 20 when I moved and only returned for one summer. Since I graduated in may of this year I have married a novascotia resident and we are living with our child in the maritimes. I am hoping to apply for the class of 2011, do you think I will be considered a maritime resident or will the years I spent in university not count towards my residency?

I know I will need to confirm this with the admissions office but I was just looking for some opinions at this time.

Guest DancingDoc

My understanding was that the criteria changed so that going to university in Nova Scotia was not sufficient be called in-province. Normally they consider your parents' residence to decide if you are in province or out. However, where you've established a home here outside of just university attendence I actually think they would consider you in-province . Just my opinion... definitely call them to ask them.

Guest SherriONT

Hi Kaysee,

I'm in the same boat...although not quite married to a nova scotian, but I'm seriously settled in here! I emailed a few months ago and the response was pretty disheartening. Apparently, they still consider me an ontarian even though I've been living here for the past 5 years and plan to stay.

I have a feeling that your situation may be different--ditto on the calling Dalhousie directly...Let us know what they say!!!

Archived