Premed 101 Forums

Handwritten application???

Guest UAgrad

Just a question to all the computer-minded people out there...the 2006 Dal application is in pdf form, but my computer is really old and I can't write on the pdf or convert it to a word doc. Would it be acceptable to write on the application by hand? Or should I find a better computer to complete the form?

Thanks!

Guest stepstofollow

Hi there:

Handwriting your application (the supplentary and main forms) is totally fine. Type your essays.

However, for miy app last year I typed up my responses to fit in the areas provided in word as I did not have access to a pdf maker to modify the form . Used a readable Times New Roman 9 or 10 point font. Then I simply cut out the rectangular responses and stuck them on the app form to with a glue stick!!!!:)

Seemed to work just fine -- a little low tech. And worked for me -- got me in!

That being said -- I think you can download a pdf maaker for free - and perhaps someone here knows how to do that or what program or site that is . I tried to do that, but I could get it to work -- so I simply typed up what I needed and slapped it on the app. with some glue.

Cheers,

steps.

• 1 year later...

Hey,

I also did the "low tech" copy paste and then I photocopied that so it looked as though i am bright and figured out how to write directly onto the pdf.... it also is good to do because it means you can include a lot more information and the contact information for your activities.

Yeah they don't put a lot of room for extracurricular so instead of putting an extra page with everything i've done i put my most time intensive (see long term committments) and ensured variety. ... I did other things as well, but some where fairly old and very similar to other things ...

With the essays remember that they are reading A LOT of them!!! If you are just being wordy at 10 font it is probably better to cut some of the reduancies for a 12 font approach. Remember to put a bit of YOU into the letter not just list what you've done... It is the best time to set yourself apart from the others.

Good luck on the application!!;)

I have found an option for writing on the pdf.

If you go to

<https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm?nf=1>

you can sign up for adobe membership and get a 30 day free trial of Adobe Acrobat pro. (You don't have to give them a credit card number or anything, just email address etc.)

I am currently filling out my app this way. Still pretty labor intensive, but probably better than manually cutting and pasting! :P

Archived