Premed 101 Forums

Research Positions? (Prob repeat ?)

Guest namcln

Guest namcln

I am sure this has been brought up but with the boards being all wacky, I wanted to put it out there again.

As our elective, we can choose to do research, yes? What is the possibility of this research being funded? Is it competitive for slots? Is funding more of a summer thing and a for-credit thing during the school year? I have been working in research for over three years and, as a professional scientist, I have not needed to apply for NSERC/NIH/CIHR etc. Is that a requirement for funding?

Thanks everyone in advance. I'll be seeing you very soon. :eek

Guest MicroMaster

I would also like to add (provided we are talking about the BSc MED program), what normal elective time are you required to give up? Does it entail lots of extra time? Do we miss other cool med electives?

Thanks

Guest namcln

I'm actually NOT talking about the BSc MED program. The website states for that:

"The BSc(Med) program is designed to provide a select group of highly qualified and motivated first and second year medical students with an opportunity to gain experience in basic and/or clinical research during their time as undergraduate students. The program necessitates a commitment to research that utilizes elective time in first and second years, as well as two, 12-week summer periods following first and second years. Additionally, the program includes the regular undergraduate medical curriculum in first and second years, a research project, formal weekly seminars during the summer, a report following completion of the first summer's research, a written thesis and oral defense of the thesis."

I already have a MSc in Medical Science and three years of practical professional research experience. I do not need to write and defend another thesis (number three for me), I wouldn't imagine? The only way I would want to do that is in an MD/PhD program, which I am certain I do not want to do at this point.

So, any way to squeeze in some research, paid (preferably) or not?

Guest CaesarCornelius

Hey

If you did do the BScMed program you would need to write a thesis, however a paper publication also substitutes. The BSCmed program is just a way for students to get some research done as well a making a bit of money in the summers. It also fattens up your resume for CaRMS matching if you are applying to a competetive specialty (ahem, most of them..:) ). It is also a good way to meet people in a specific department.

The down side is you need to know waht you want to do right away. Most people are unsure of this and are unwilling to commit two years (summers included) to a project. There are smaller summer only research grants available taht most people choose to do.

You dont really miss out on "cool" electives, because that is all relative really. So if what you're doing isn't cool to you, then don't do it! First year electives are one morning a week and most people either do it in family or surgery. Its probably best to do it in something general as it gives you a good foundation to build on. If you do Neonatal ICU endocrinology (does that even exist?), then you really only get to see a small aspect of one area of medicine.

Let me know if that clears things up or just makes it worse..:)

CC

Archived