Premed 101 Forums

academic referee

Guest bonjourtoujour

Guest bonjourtoujour

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone out there knows someone who got in using their high school teacher as a referee...:\

I was looking at the referee form, and it seems there is quite an emphasis on research. I thought when I applied (and still think) that my high school teacher knows me better than any prof (I went to a small enriched high school- same science teacher for 4 years...). Any thoughts?

Guest bonjourtoujour

pretty well...and he's taught for 25 years, and used to tell me he considered me one of his top 5 students ever, out of literally 1000s... but he sure can't comment on research ability....

Guest canstowski

I think using high school teacher as a personal referee is fine...but certainly not as an academic referee. If you look at the academic reference form carefully, they want inputs from professors or most likely reseach supervisors....they want to know if you are serious about med, curious about medical science, etc.....a high school teacher cannot answer those questions b/c he/she doesn't even teach you during your undergrad.....hence, his/her words are not credible....

Archived