Premed 101 Forums

*Transferring to a Canadian med school?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Hyder Al-Attar

Date:***9/17/2000 1:29 pm*PST

Dear Sir,

It is a pleasure writing to you. My name is Hyder Al-Attar, I was born in Canada in 1979, in Guelph City and in 1981 I left Canada with my parents to Iraq and I did my study there. Now, I have just completed the third year in the medical school, at the university of Baghdad. Since that time I did not have a chance to leave Iraq due to financial as well as other problems .It is only recently I have managed to leave Iraq with great difficulty to Jordan .I am planning to come to Canada to complete my study in Medicine. It will be greatly appreciated if you can help me to complete my study in Canada.

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***9/18/2000 5:42 pm*PST

Hello,

The major question is whether your courses will be transferable to a Canadian medical school. I suspect the answer will be "no", as I know of at least two UBC students that had previously attended a year of medical school in a different country, and were required to re-take first year medicine at UBC.

Furthermore, while you are a Canadian citizen, I don't know whether you'd qualify for residency status in the province that you were born in. For instance, after comparing what you've told me above, to the BC residency requirements for UBC at: http://www.med.ubc.ca (under Education, Admissions), you wouldn't be a BC resident even if you were born here in 1979 because you moved away after two years.

Therefore, my best piece of advice is to contact each medical school in Canada, and see what options are available. I have the links to all the English-speaking medical schools in Canada under the "Medical Schools" link on my website.

Ian

• 4 years later...
Guest Visitor

Hi Ian,

you mentioned that you know of two ubc students that had done one year of medical school in another country and now are at ubc doing medicine, but had to retake their first year.

i was just wondering how it is possible for an international med student to transfer over to UBC medicine with the catch of having to retake their first year. does the international school that they are at have to be affiliated with UBC medical school? are there special circumstances that allow them to transfer over? along with this, any other information that you can provide regarding being able to transfer to a canadian medical school but having to retake your first year would be fantastic

thanks

Guest aneliz

I doubt that these students were allowed to 'transfer' to UBC... likely they applied to UBC, along with all of the regular applicants, with the catch being that they had already completed/were completing med school internationally at the time. Because Canadian schools do not give credit for med school done elsewhere, when they were accepted, they had to start over and were not given advanced standing.

Archived