Premed 101 Forums

help please! I'm an immigrant... What should i do?

Guest b2sai

Guest b2sai

Please help. I'm immigrating to Canada next year and I want to take up premed there. Im currently in my first year of college, I took up Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology.

My problem is that I have no idea of what pre-med courses should I take in Ontario, Canada.

(Assuming all the papers needed for immigration are o.k.)

What are my chances of getting in a premed school ?

What premed courses do they offer ?

What papers do they require of immigrants?

OMSAS ? sounds Greek to me...

Guest maxell

My problem is that I have no idea of what pre-med courses should I take in Ontario, Canada.

> TYPE IN OMSAS IN ANY SEARCH ENGINE (E.G. GOOGLE). IT WILL TAKE YOU TO A LINK THAT HAS FULL INFO REGRADING THE PREREQUISITES

(Assuming all the papers needed for immigration are o.k.)

What are my chances of getting in a premed school ?

> DEPENDS, THERE IS NO "PREMED SCHOOL". ANY AREA THAT LEADS TO A B.SC. OR B.A. WITH THE PREREQUISITE COURSES WILL DO. YOU APPLY TO THAT UNIVERSITY'S PROGRAM. CHANCES OF GETTING IN A B.SC. DEGREE PROGRAM HERE ARE VERY GOOD. YOU WILL HOWEVER NEED TO WRITE THE MCAT.

WHEN APPLYING TO MED SCHOOL, IF YOU ARE A LANDED IMMIGRANT YOU SHOULD (THEORETICALLY) HAVE THE SAME CHANCES AS CANADIAN CITIZENS. BUT DISCRIMINATION EXISTS AT SOME LEVEL SINCE THEY WILL DISCREDIT YOUR FOREIGN WORK / VOLUNTEER EXPEREINCES. IF YOU ARE ON A STUDENT VISA, DON'T BOHTHER APPLYING. MEDICINE IS ONLY FOR CAN CITIZENS AND LANDED IMMIGRANTS. YOU CAN INQUIRE AT MACMASTER AND DALHOUSIE FOR A SPECIAL FOREINGER PROGRAM (>$30,000 A YEAR WITH LIMITED SEATS AND NO CHANCE OF RESIDENCY IN CANADA)

What premed courses do they offer ?

YOU NEED TO ENQUIRE AT THE UNIVERSITY OF YOUR CHOICE

What papers do they require of immigrants?

>LANDED PAPERS

OMSAS ? sounds Greek to me...

Guest UWOMED2005

McGill also accepts a number of international students a year - I think about 25, last I heard. My understanding is that it is easier to get into McGill as an international student than it as a Canadian from outside of Quebec.

Guest MissingthePoint

B2sai already said that he/she will be a landed immigrant next year so there is no need to consider which school allows international students, UWOMED2005.

B2sai: The advice to you is the same to all other pre-medders. Take what you will find interesting and enjoy.

As Maxell said, in Canada, there is no "Pre-Med" stream. You can do medschool with any type of degree (or 3 years towards a degree) as long as you have met the Prequisites for each med school. Check with each med school you think you may be applying to (i.e. probably depends on which province you will be settling in) for which courses they require. I.e. BIOCHEM, BIOL, ENGL etc..

Guest Akane200

Would the both of you stop the stupidity?

Please don't feed the trolls, and don't stoop to their level.

Please stop causing a disturbance, and return this thread to normal conversation.

Have a nice day! :)

Guest b2sai

Thanks guys for replying to this thread!

I really, really appreciate your replies, except for some people. : )

By the way, do colleges require a landed-immigrant, thats me, to take TOEFL test?

Guest Ian Wong

This thread has been cleaned up, and is ready to go again. Please folks, in the future, if someone is busy trolling and posting inflammatory statements, just ignore it. If you reply, it'll only get the ball rolling.

Just leave it be, and I'll delete it promptly. Now, back to the original thread... :)

Ian

UBC, Med 3

Guest TOEFL

Hi b2sai,

If your primary language of education was not English most if not all universities will require the TOEFL, unfortunately.

If you went to say an "International School" in your country of origin, or if your country's first language is english, than I think that will do too. You should probably check it out with each university/college you are thinking of going to.

My best bet is that you will probably have to do the TOEFL.

Guest maxell

My brother is a British subject, but when he came here he had to still write the TOEFL even though he had attended an International School with an English-speaking curriculum in a non-English speaking country.

In all likelihood, you will be asked to write it.

In Canada, there is the TOEFL (most popular), the MELAB (which is what I wrote) and in some provinces the CANTEST

Guest maxell

incidently when re-reading your post, i noticed you mentioned that you are currently enrolled in a B.Sc. program. I assume that it is in your country (Japan maybe?????)

things are a bit different. you probably will have to get your degree evaluated to the canadian standard. this may involve quite a bit of work, money and time. OMSAS may have special requirements for non-canadian degrees, so you enquire early. And the prerequistes may not be transferable as you may have a different standard in your country. Prerequsites exist to ensure that all students have the same competency in a particular area.

once in canada, you can acutally just take the prerequisites you don't have without earning a separate degree, e.g. if you need english literature, just enrol for that class as a continuing education student. but you will be wasting an entire academic year doing so. also it is extremely important that you do well in the prerequiste courses (high grades). It is best that you enquire directly with one university as to how you should proceed in this manner by paying them a visit when you reach here.

hope this helps

Guest b2sai

Thanks man!

Actually I'm from the Philippines. I studied High School at "Chiang Kai Shek College", a private filipino-chinese school. Our medium of instruction was English except for our "Filipino and Chinese subjects". I'm now studying at "Far Eastern University" for my B.Sc. in Medical Technology.

By the way, in Philippines, all schools use english language as our medium of instruction. In terms of using my English and Filipino language in communication, I can say that im not that bad (although I sometimes stutter when I use english) except for my chinese , i can understand 50% Mandarin, 90% Fookien and 1% Cantonese. :)

Guest The Fox Rox

Hi b2sai,

I can understand what you are going through with this whole TOEFL and such. I myself studied in India and Kuwait till grade nine after which I came to Canada. Although english was the medium of instruction for my whole education and I was fluent in English, U of A still required me to take TSE (test of spoken english, which is a part of TOEFL).

I can understand why they require this, as I have met many foreigners who have no problems with reading and writing in English, but are unable to speak it well. One is not required to take this test if he/she has studied in an 'english speaking' country for atleast 6 years.

However, I wrote them a letter explaining that I had studied in English speaking schools all my life, and showed them some of the public speaking awards that I had recieved. I also drew their attention to my marks in my English classes. In the end they waived this requirement. So there is a chance to waive this requirement if you can prove to them you are fluent in spoken and written English.

Good luck.

Guest monkey

Hey Fox Rox,

This is actually pretty weird but i studied in Kuwait and India until gr. 10!! a very small world huh?! From what i could gather of your previous posts and such, I guess you had to show proof since you applied to UA after 5 years of residence in an English-speaking country (i.e., Canada). But in the end, as always, i'm glad everything worked out for ya.

BTW: if you dont mind, what years did you live in Kuwait? and what school did you attend?

Cheers!

Archived