Premed 101 Forums

US medical School to Canadian Residency

Guest Mnarewal

Guest Mnarewal

I was hoping someone can help me out. I have found out that Ontario schools take US medical school graduates in the first iteration of the match. I myself am canadian however I when to an American Medical School that is LCME reg. I was wondering what tests are required to even enter the Candian match and How does the candian system work.

Guest UWOMED2005

This area is pretty new. The subject was brought up at a career (ie residency) info night at UWO last year. . . and my understanding is that CANADIAN graduates of US schools (like yourself) are now eligible for the first round of CaRMS. There's also a lot of talk of also opening the first round to other graduates of international medical schools, with Manitoba opening up the first round this year.

Beyond that, unfortunately I can't be of much help bother than referring you to the CaRMS and Medical Council of Canada websites, which you might have already known about. The former is the application service through for all english residency programs in Canada and the latter has info on writing the licensing exam.

Hope these two links help or someone has more useful information.

Guest UofA man

UWOMED2005 where did you get this information regarding Manitoba. Is there an article that read that or is more word of mouth. any info would be appreciated. thanx

Guest medicator007

UWOMED2005,

Is this change in Manitoba's procedures related to that "IMG court challenge" that the CFMS reps have all be talking about? I know we discussed it earlier on the board and i thought that nothing had yet been resolved, has that changed?

Happy Holidays!

Medicator

Guest UWOMED2005

Yes, it is in relation to the court challenge that was discussed in the moderator's forum. I've been involved in an on-line discussion group with the CFMS. I'm pretty sure it was there I heard about this from there, but I'm not 100% positive. My understanding is that the resolution is that the resolution is that IMGs have been allowed in the first round ONLY in Manitoba for this year. What implications there are for other provinces in future years I have no clue. . . the CFMS is putting together a position paper on this issue.

Guest medicator007

Thanks for the info, this is really an interesting matter. One with large implications on our future. Any idea on when this position paper will be put out and how we can get a copy?

Happy Holidays,

Medicator

UWOMED2005 - I know exactly where you read it...it was in the minutes of the last hippo meeting, the summary of which is posted on uwomeds.com.....don't know any more than that...I imagine the people on hippo or CFMS would know more.

Guest UWOMED2005

Thanks, that must be it. In any case, I'm pretty sure IMGs in the first round is a go for Manitoba (only) this year.

And unfortunately, I'm not sure about that position paper. . .

Guest Mnarewal

Just a quick question. I have contacted a bunch of ontario schools and they have said that it will be the first iteration of the match (Toronto and UWO). However, my question is what exactly is required to enter the match. That is, what exams does a Canadian Medical student graduating IV have to have taken before entering into the match system?

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm not sure. My guess is that you'd have to write the LMCCs (note the address above) but I'm not 100% certain as I've heard of Canadians matching through CaRMS and NOT passing the LMCCs. And come to think of it, the match is pretty much over by the time we write the LMCCs in May.

Really, this is stuff you should e-mail CaRMS about. Any advice I'd give would be speculation.

Guest Ian Wong

If you are a Canadian medical student in your final year of studies at a Canadian medical school, you gain the right to match in the first round of CaRMS. No exams are necessary.

UWOMED2005 is right in that the first round of the Match occurs either in late February/early March, yet the LMCC Part 1 exam is not written until May of the same year. Therefore, you have completed the match before you even get close to writing the LMCC. Also, passing the LMCC has no correlation with keeping your residency position. Even if you matched into a program, and then subsequently failed the LMCC, you would NOT be stripped of your residency position; you'd simply be forced to re-write the exam until you passed.

I do not know how or if things differ if you are from an American medical school.

Ian

UBC, Med 4

Archived