Premed 101 Forums

*Pre-reqs for Canadian schools?

Guest Ian Wong

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Vanessa Cruz

Date:***11/9/2000 6:02 am*PST

Someone who studied bussiness administration (in a foreign University - Brazil) can applied to a Medical School or need to take some science courses before ?

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Carse, UG4

Date:***11/10/2000 1:16 pm*PST

Vanessa,

most medical schools have a list of pre-requisite courses which would take you a couple of years to complete. In addition, most schools require that you write the MCAT exam, which would likely be extremely difficult without taking the corresponding science courses anyways (biology, physics, organic chem, inorganic chem).

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*Ian Wong, MS2

Date:***11/11/2000 6:41 pm*PST

Hello,

Like Carse has already stated, you will need to take additional pre-requisite courses in order to apply to most of the Canadian medical schools. These usually include first year English, first year inorganic chemistry, second year organic chemistry, and often courses in Physics and Biochemistry/Biology.

You should go to the web-sites of the Canadian medical schools you are interested in attending. I have a link to each of these medical schools on my main page. Also, depending on your nationality, you may want to check out the residency requirements for each medical school. Many schools only accept Canadian citizens.

Best of luck!

Ian

Can, MS2

Guest Ian Wong

Author:*MBA applicant

Date:***12/8/2000 1:31 pm*PST

Absolutely, you can apply. As previously stated, you will need the prescribed pre-requisite courses, and if you successfully complete those, the writing of the MCAT should not be a problem. Mind you, within Canada, Ottawa U. and McMaster do not have an MCAT requirement.

As to your business background, as a medical school applicant with an MBA (and B.Sc. undergrad. degree), I have found from my own experience that this alternative route to medical school has provided excellent preparation for my future as a physician. I'm sure you can delve within your non-medical science experiences to find similar experiences that will set you apart from the crowd.

Archived