Premed 101 Forums

How long does it take to get your med education licence?

Guest dddd

From what I understand, if you get accepted in June or whenever, you must also apply for some type of education licence. How long does it take to get that back once you apply? I'm asking because from what I understand, your acceptance to UBC is actually dependant on you getting the licence first.

Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I don't think it's as much as a time issue, i.e., you had better have your licence in hand before the matriculation date or you're out, as it is a criminal record issue. In order to receive your licence, you have to undergo and successfully clear a criminal record check. As long as you clear that hurdle, I would assume that it's full steam ahead.

Does anyone know of any other checks that have to be made before the licence is issued?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I don't believe the criminal record check is officially conducted until after the acceptance (at UBC at least). Granted, the medical schools may inquire in the initial application, as to whether you have any prior convictions, but the actual checking at UBC generally isn't done until an acceptance is in hand. (I say this from past experience since a criminal record check form was included in the UBC acceptance package that I received a couple of years ago.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived