Premed 101 Forums

here we go again

Guest tea

i'm starting the feel the anxiety again. anyone sharing the same feeling? what do you do to relax? I tried massage and loved it. However, i can't afford it regularly. Any other suggestions besides nail biting and massage???

tea

Guest Lactic Folly

Exercise, listening to music, healthy munchies.. but of all of these nail biting is the most accessible :P I'm signing up for a relaxation training session - hopefully they have some quick and effective strategies to share. This process sure seems bad for our health sometimes (ironically enough) ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pucca81

Different people take different measures to relax. Ask yourself what worked best for you and what didn't. The only thing that kept me sane during the whole application procedure is my spiritual life. Why don't u try different things (e.g. socialize more with people who are NOT applying certainly helps... it gets you away from all this madness; go see more movies, concerts, operas, play more sports, take dancing classes, etc. etc.)

Guest canstowski

I agreed with pucca 100%. Personally, i don't even bother thinking about my application until (if) i received notification for an interview. My spiritual life helped me along the way too. Here is a verse I like to share to all the christian applicants out there:

No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Corinthians 2:9

Trust in the Lord ;)

Guest soapyslicer

I think LacticFolly hit it on the nose when he said spend some time with non-applicants. It is so hard to not talk about it with those who are in the same position. I have been busy so far as my thesis had to be in to the library for friday if I want to graduate in Nov. I managed it - finally! Now I will only be on campus to TA on Fridays. The rest of the time I will be having fun just hanging with my kids and working the odd shift. I like this forum because when I do need to feel apart of things I can just sign on!

soapy

Canstowski,

I'm also a Christian. This is my 3rd time applying to UBC. I got interviews in both of the previous two applications but didn't get a high mark in interviews. I noticed that you were on the wait list but couldn't get in. Be confident! Let's encourage each other! I know that God has the best plan for us. Meanwhile, learn the lesson(s) that God may want us to learn and enjoy life!! I also have a backup plan just in case I cannot get in. I guess we should have faith, given that this time UBC will accept 200 students, right?

What are you doing now? working?

Cheers! Always thankful, always joyful, always trust :D

Guest canstowski

Hiya, fellow christian applicant :P

Thanks for your encouragement and you are right, God has the best plans for us. We are just too naive or stupid to understand them hehe. Actually, not getting this year was a good thing. I'm having a blast with my year off from school. I've committed more in my church, with my family and my friends. I'm seeing and learning a lot of things that i won't see if i were in school. I guess not getting in med this year is a blessing in disguise ;)

Right now i'm working full time as a lab tech at St. Paul's hospital. God has given me something to do while i wait, which is awesome!

So what is your story? Did you apply to other schools? Are you working now also?

Guest premed81

Hi there christian applicants,

I was really intrigued by what you all said about how God has a plan for all of us and things will happen it's suppose to happen. I try to keep that perspective too, but it's really difficult sometimes. I am also Christian, I ask God a lot why he's making this process so difficult for me (and others too). And my spiritual perspective is sometimes mixed in with my secular perspective. for example, I wonder if part of God's plan is for some of us to NOT get into medical school right now, then why can't His plan be more straightforward? Why does He put us on this path where we spend (and pretty much waste) so much money and time that could have been put to better use? Why does He enable us to believe that this is what we really want right now. It's difficult for me to separate the spiritual and secular aspects of life. Ok, I'm going off on a philosophical rampage so I better stop. Anyhow, most of my applications are in as well, and I'm just focussing on a lot of schoolwork right now. Best of luck to everyone else.

Guest canstowski

Hi premed81,

I totally understand what you said because at times i operate that way too. However, u must remember God is the almighty one. He has powers and see things that we will never see or understand. Why make this process so difficult to us? Well i am not going to pretend i know the answer for this for i'm not God nor will i ever know what He thinks, but u must remember, lessons are only learned thru struggles and hardships. The harder you fall, the better u remember, right? As for God's plans whether we get in med school this year or next or at all, well thats for Him to decide. However, all i can say is, i've learned A LOT thru the application process and even if i don't get in med at all in my life time, i still cherish the lessons, and blessing God has given me thru this time. Anyhow i better stop as this is not a christian forum haha. Best of luck!

A lab tech in St. Paul? So you are a registered medical laboratory technologist?

I have a B.Sc in biochem but I figured out that I am not interested and not good at lab work. Since graduation, I have been working on several health care research projects at UBC.

Yes, it's not a christian forum, but I am glad that we can share our experience with each other!

God bless!

hi guys,

i'm pleasantly surprised at the Christian voice. For a long time, i was under the impression that you 'd almost need to be an atheist to be a medical doctor. I mean, seriously, NONE, no doctors of mine has ever brought up spirituality or religion issue with me, yet the evidence about faith, prayers and healing are all out there. Interesting!!!

tea

Guest premed81

That's an interesting thought that one would think medical doctors would have to be athiest. However, I think Christian values and spirtuality associated with medicine is a lot more than just believing in God. I think it has to do with the fact that you have to think beyond the technical, administrative, political, and scientific aspects of practicing medicine. I think there has to be faith, belief, and hope involved in order for any medical professional to want to do this for the rest of their lives.

Archived